• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Major Power Outage Mep-002 Getting Workout

Chainbreaker

A new one is sure to be pricy, but someone here in the forum is bound to have one in a junker, or drawer. QUOTE]

I do have a new replacement solenoid on hand. I may just change it out to be safe and do the troubleshooting of the malfunctioning one later after I get out of our "no power crisis" mode.

Utility trucks pulled off job last night at 1900 and have not returned this morning as of 0900. Might have been called off to work another higher priority. Looks like we may be without power for another day or two...:sad:

robertsears1

We had a pretty good ice storm in NC back in Dec of 02. I think we were without for 5 or 6 days. It made an impression on me on how much I like electricity. We had no generators back then but heated with wood and propane so it wasn't too bad. It was a lot like living in Spain or as someone characterized it as "camping with your stereo ", except no power, no stereo. Every dump truck within 5 states showed up later to haul off the busted up trees.

That experience is why I now have 1.75 002s, a 003, a 804a, and a partridge in a pear tree but not the array of spares you have accumulated.

Robert

Chainbreaker

Utility Power finally restored to our house! :naner: Although some of our nearby neighbors are still without power. Lineman foreman said they are still in triage mode with 1,000's still without power. So I guess we are lucky it was only a 7 day power outage for us!

I have learned a lot from this event. My longest previous power outage was 3 days. When you get into the week or more type of outages having really good prior preparation is key to survival. Knowing your generator is 100% prepped for such an event can eliminate a lot of stress in such chaotic times. Anticipation is key! I had thought and read about common failures here on SS related to my generator model and had a lot of key spare parts on hand. That proved to be very useful! That military saying of: 2 is 1 came true for me! Having a redundant generator that I could wheel in place then plug and go into action in challenging weather was a god send! Friends and neighbors, and even my wife at times, questioned why I needed so many generators. They now know why!

Now that the pressure is off and I can catch my breath it will be time to prepare for next potential power failure round. Got to go through a few gremlins left in my 3 gensets that cropped up during this ordeal:

Genset #1: High Voltage AC Regulator issue: replace AC voltage regulator with Triple Jim's "Lakeland VR board" that is already on its way & fully exercise & test. Repair old board and stock as a spare.
Genset #2: Ran like a champ but still need to troubleshoot why its not transferring fuel (replace aux solenoid if bad with new spare on hand).
Genset #3: Troubleshoot intermittent AC Voltage Reconnection Switch (already have complete rebuilt distribution box if required), test glow plugs to see why one cylinder was not firing off in freezing cold start conditions (have new glow plugs on hand).

No rest for the weary!

Thanks for all those that chimed in during my power outage episode! It was comforting to know that if I experienced any further problems with my generators someone would always be here to offer help, suggestions or just saying - I understand your dilemma, been there done that and survived the ordeal!

Thanks to all!!! :beer:

This message sent using GRID POWER...finally![thumbzup]

dangier

Sounds like we all can learn from your experience! We have had 1 week outages in the past. At that time I had a B&S screamer then a PTO generator. Did not like either. Ended up with 2 002's and 2 003's. Each one ready to go. Exercise them monthly. Have one of Triple Jim's AC Voltage regulator and two of his DC regulators. All have operated perfect! Have 275 fuel tank in basement feeding direct to main house 003. Since we are all set up, we have had a couple of outages of minutes..... go figure!

Oh well, better to be ready than not.
Great job Chainbreaker!

Last edited:

Chainbreaker

Sounds like we all can learn from your experience! We have had 1 week outages in the past. At that time I had a B&S screamer then a PTO generator. Did not like either. Ended up with 2 002's and 2 003's. Each one ready to go. Exercise them monthly. Have one of Tripple Jim's AC Voltage regulator and two of his DC regulators. All have operated perfect! Have 275 fuel tank in basement feeding direct to main house 003. Since we are all set up, we have had a couple of outages of minutes..... go figure!

Oh well, better to be ready than not.
Great job Chainbreaker!
Sounds like you are very well prepared. Its not a matter of if, but when you get hit with a significant power outage. So many possible ways to lose grid power!

I like your signature. I have the same equipment list except for your 003 (x2) . Edit: Except now I see you went and edited your signature...lol I only have 2 botas

Last edited:

dangier

***I like your signature. I have the same equipment list except for your 003 (x2) . Edit: Except now I see you went and edited your signature...lol I only have 2 botas***

Thanks for the reminder-I had forgotten to update. The 3901 was intended to replace the 3130 now that the work around here is done. Wife wanted the 3130...... you know the rest. ;)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks