• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MAJOR repair job

solarmon

Been hearing an ominous rattle/clank kind of sound from under the hood. . getting louder . . . so I figured I'd best look under there.

The mysterious noise was coming from the area of the steering pump, or perhaps the alternator above it. . .hard to pinpoint with the fan blowing the sound around. Wasn't that typical grinding that comes from a failing pump. .sounded more like something loose. .or mabe a VERY loose bearing. Weird thing was that the sound went away at higher RPMs.

I started by removing the alternator belt. .which made NO difference, so I set out to loosen the bolts on the steering pump to remove THAT belt . .

and. .

discovered that the bolt holding the bracket to the engine block was eight turns lose.

END OF RATTLE

If only all problems were so easy. LOL

PS . . also discovered that my GEM electric car makes a PERFECT work platform for the 1008 . .j ust back it up against the front of the truck . . .a WHOLE lot easier than the usual stepladder.

Attachments

mudmagnet63

PS . . also discovered that my GEM electric car makes a PERFECT work platform for the 1008 . .j ust back it up against the front of the truck . . .a WHOLE lot easier than the usual stepladder.
We have the box of death it's a 2' tall box I built years ago to work on my civvi blazer it's long and not very wide so if you lean in to far it gets wobbly. we have had it for so long now any thoughts of modifying it are out of the question.

mud

sparky1

We have the box of death it's a 2' tall box I built years ago to work on my civvi blazer it's long and not very wide so if you lean in to far it gets wobbly. we have had it for so long now any thoughts of modifying it are out of the question.

mud
my old stand by is is your standard plastic milk crate.you know the one that flips over if you lean to far in the engine compartment.

jimmy-90

That thing would be awesome for putting around inside of the walmart. You should try that and see if they let you do it. I mean some of the super walmarts freeking enormous!!!

solarmon

That thing would be awesome for putting around inside of the walmart. You should try that and see if they let you do it. I mean some of the super walmarts freeking enormous!!!
The GEM is street-legal, with a top speed of about 35 (after some tweaking of the controler), and a 30-mile range. .would be a bit of the old overkill in Wallyworld

besides, the nearest one to me is 120 miles away in Grand Junction, CO

solarmon

my old stand by is is your standard plastic milk crate.you know the one that flips over if you lean to far in the engine compartment.
done that milk carton thing. .have the scars on my chin to prove it

also have an adjustable-height work platform. .the bucket of my Bobcat, but it has a leaky hydraulic cylinder (surprise), and slowy tips forward while I stand in it. The GEM is better

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Been hearing an ominous rattle/clank kind of sound from under the hood. . getting louder . . . so I figured I'd best look under there.

The mysterious noise was coming from the area of the steering pump, or perhaps the alternator above it. . .hard to pinpoint with the fan blowing the sound around. Wasn't that typical grinding that comes from a failing pump. .sounded more like something loose. .or mabe a VERY loose bearing. Weird thing was that the sound went away at higher RPMs.

I started by removing the alternator belt. .which made NO difference, so I set out to loosen the bolts on the steering pump to remove THAT belt . .

and. .

discovered that the bolt holding the bracket to the engine block was eight turns lose.

END OF RATTLE

If only all problems were so easy. LOL
Quite ironic! Mine had developed an un-usual rattle in the last few days and I discovered today that this bolt was missing! I only noticed it because the alternator was shaking and you could see the bracket pulling away from the block. Had a bolt in stock to make a quick fix, tomorrow I'll figure out what length it's supposed to be, then buy one and loctite it in.

91W350

I found a large cooler filled about half full of water so it does not slide so easily works great. Sure beats trying to balance on my toes on the locking hub.....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks