• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

major starting problem, please help!

Dmoser

got my starter pulled off and found the problem right away. the ground strap on the solenoid was broken. concerns me because there is really no reason that it should have broken with no moving going on between the motor and solenoid.

DonK

I think what you see is the Positive strap going into the starter from the solenoid. From what ive seen, most starter/solenoid assemblies are internally grounded. No external grounds....
I'm sure someone will tell us if I'm wrong. The Positive Cable from the Battery should go directly from the B+ Terminal strip to the Solenoid. Once you activate the Starter Relay, with the key, it supplies B+ energizing the solenoid which closes the path through the start contacts of the solenoid to the starter. Trash, debris or more likely a loose connection could have caused that Strap to melt....

mistaken1

this is the best picture i could get. strap runs from the back of the solenoid into the motor housing

I believe that is the power from the solenoid to the starter motor.

I had one die like that on the wife's ford. One time start, next time no start. Not sure why they are open wire like that (heat issues?), exposed to road salt and water. When I put the new starter in I coated that wire with conductive grease to try to keep some of the corrosive elements off of it.

DonK

I believe that is the power from the solenoid to the starter motor.

I had one die like that on the wife's ford. One time start, next time no start. Not sure why they are open wire like that (heat issues?), exposed to road salt and water. When I put the new starter in I coated that wire with conductive grease to try to keep some of the corrosive elements off of it.

Like I said...B+ to the Starter...Rebuild it and make sure you treat with No-OX and double check the tightness to ALL connections to the solenoid...

Abbylind

Mine spun around when the long bolts that hold the front housing came loose causing the internal rotor to spin free. I made the strap out of 1/4 copper tubing pounded flat. Drilled and tapped the connections and cleaned the internals on the starter. Reassembled and installed....works great.