• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Make M105 lower?

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Will changing tires make the m105 short enough to tow behind my M1009? I realize it is heavy but the height is the issue currently. I may just swap the axle if the tire idea will not work.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Forgetting the 2750# lets look at the numbers. Lunette height for the 105 is 36". Need to get it down to 24" for your CUCV. You would need at least a 10" shorter tire. Don't know what would fit. M101 is a much better choice in the long run.

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Thank you, I am also considering an axle swap. If a 14 bolt would be "plug and play" I would prefe that route as it would go on a diet at the same time. Yes, I would like a M101 also but GL has NONE anywhere close and the two on CL are junk :)

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
A bunch of people have simply replaced the M105 axle with smaller, civilian axles and wheels, in order to reduce their height. Do a search here on SS.

Ultimately, I am with Kenny-I'd keep an eye out for a nice 101 and save your 105 for the deuce you need to eventually buy. :)

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
3dangus has some tires/rims off a bolster trailer which use the same bolt pattern that will lower you significantly but I do not know the specific height. It might do what you want.

Pm Him, They were listed in the classifieds not sure if they are still there?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Axle swap is viable. The 14 bolt is no lightweight so you won't pare off that much weight. Will the CUCV keep its stock suspension? Shoot for a matching bolt pattern with the truck.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A narrowed mobile-home axle works well to lower it. And you can have electric brakes!

Craigslist is a good source.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just noticed your want ad for bows and a cover.

I'd just go buy an M101 trailer with a cover.

They are out there, keep looking.

Last edited:

SteveKuhn

I use my Econoline to move mine around so went the opposite direction. I have a 12" riser adapter so just yesterday I went to the local structural steel shop and had a 16" plain riser plate made of equivalent material with the same hole pattern. It will be bolted into the top 3 (vertical) holes of the riser plate with 6 bolts, then the pintle mounted on top. That's about an add'l 10". Cost was $20.

It solves the hookup problem and levels the trailer a bit. I might actually get another that's 24 to either pick up more bolt thrus or to get a bit more height.

All that is not to be construed as a recommendation to then take that hookup out on the Interstate and haul cookies.

Steve

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Once you tow a properly loaded M101 trailer and feel how they can wag the M1009, you will probably reconsider towing anything bigger or heavier.

After seeing one guy's post after having an empty M105 roll his M1008, I would not even try moving an M105 with an M1009 on the road.

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Why the 14bolt, what a waste. Just grab a minivan axle. No weight, some capacity, parking brakes. They can't be expensive as they are just a tube.

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Axles on M1009 are being changed to Dana 44 up front and 14FF in rear @ 3.73. Maybe you all are right, save this for pulling with my dodge and get an M101. Now to find one local.

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Yah, thanks for more common sense. Still getting over this cold. My Ram 2500 did not even know the M105 was back there bringing it home :) Plans changed, will keep the m105 for general use with the dodge and get a m101.

SteveKuhn

For giggles I went to CL and tried to guess the right search listing for your area of 'Central Florida'. If it's any consolation, your prices and conditions down there aren't any worse than ours up here. Unless you find a great deal, they've gone up in price. Nevertheless, the extra couple of $ for the 101 in price, recovery ride, or both makes it just a much smarter choice for a light truck. A couple of extra $ on the front end will pay off handsomely in usage. I love my 101.

FWIW, my friend Art towed my 105 about 10 miles on local streets w/ his CUCV to store it and he positively swore off it as well as at it. On his Deuce, he loves it. I've towed a snowblower and Mule in separate trips in my Econoline/105 rig and wouldn't put more than 1000 lbs in it on a bet. Even then I'd be vewwy, vewwy conservative about speed, road conditions, following distances, trip distances, etc., and I'd take zero chances. Common sense says it's just too much trailer overhead for the vehicle for general use, and it could go into business for itself in the blink of an eye.

The worst part, as I've written a couple of times, is that it tows so nicely that you can easily forget what's chasing you and get complacent, speed up, loose your focus, and then bingo - it could bite you.

Steve

Last edited:

3dAngus

There is a M101A2 trailer in Central Fl for sale with cover on craigslist. They are three times better then a M105 for a civilian vehicle. But, they cost more too, due to the demand and useability for multipurpose useage. The M105 is great for a deuce, but that's about it.

And yes, I have some bolster tires in like new condition. I doubt they have over 500 miles on them. I have three and am about ready to discount them just to have some more room for storage around here. One fella bought some, and lowered the trailer some by moving the axle below the springs before he purchased. He was much happier with doing both tires and moving the axle lower. Moving the axle under and putting on a full load puts about 5500 pounds on those Ubolts. That's a lot and I don't know what kind of stress they'll take but I found it interesting.
PM if interested in the tires. Also have a M105 and M101 trailer for sale. I might be able to haul it down there in a few weeks if interested. See the classifieds under "3Dangus".

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
I see the supply/demand aspect :) PM me details as I cannot seem to find your ads. Thank you
Brian

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Click on his user name.

Then select view user threads.

That's how you can find his ads.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks