• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

make retainer cables

Guruman

Not so new member
I have some broken/missing retainer cables on my LMTV. You know those cables that keep the various pins from getting lost.

Making new ones should be an easy task, but finding a source for the cable, crimps and swag tools is harder than I thought, It seems all my searches get muddled up with people trying to sell me cable railing systems.

Maybe I'm not searching the right stuff. Anyone have a source for this stuff (pliers/crimpers, a spool of thin cable, and a handful of the crimps)?

serpico760

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have some broken/missing retainer cables on my LMTV. You know those cables that keep the various pins from getting lost.

Making new ones should be an easy task, but finding a source for the cable, crimps and swag tools is harder than I thought, It seems all my searches get muddled up with people trying to sell me cable railing systems.

Maybe I'm not searching the right stuff. Anyone have a source for this stuff (pliers/crimpers, a spool of thin cable, and a handful of the crimps)?
Which retainer cables do you need? I removed a bunch of stuff for my truck that I don't need and some of those may be what you need. Additionally I have several retainer cables hanging from the bed that have nothing attached to them and I don't know what would have attached to them and I don't seem to be missing anything that I know of.

Sent from my S62 Pro using Tapatalk

Guruman

Not so new member
Which retainer cables do you need? I removed a bunch of stuff for my truck that I don't need and some of those may be what you need. Additionally I have several retainer cables hanging from the bed that have nothing attached to them and I don't know what would have attached to them and I don't seem to be missing anything that I know of.

Right now I do not have a complete inventory. I know last night while building a crane setup, I broke one that holds the parachute anchor cover in place under the bed. (still not super sure how those are supposed to work, evidently they are not made to come out the top). I know there are others that are missing/broke. And the ones that are not are not in great shape.

I just thought if I could buy the stuff, I'd replace them all and maybe add a few as needed for the mobile workshop container I have coming. If I had the stuff I'd probably replace them all over time, and be able to customize the lengths in the process.

serpico760

Steel Soldiers Supporter
McMaster Carr sells them in every size and configuration. Search lanyards.
Ahh, McMaster-Carr, best organized website to purchase things ever! Sometimes a little on the pricey side but you pay for the convenience. Also best customer service ever, talk straight to a person! By the way if you purchase socket wrenches from them they are generally from proto tools, made in USA.

ramdough

Ahh, McMaster-Carr, best organized website to purchase things ever! Sometimes a little on the pricey side but you pay for the convenience. Also best customer service ever, talk straight to a person! By the way if you purchase socket wrenches from them they are generally from proto tools, made in USA.

Crazy thing…. The local bolt shop was bought out by Fastserve, now they cost more than McMaster…. Even Grainger is way more locally.

Never thought McMaster would become my cheap option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

serpico760

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Crazy thing…. The local bolt shop was bought out by Fastserve, now they cost more than McMaster…. Even Grainger is way more locally.

Never thought McMaster would become my cheap option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can order at 8, have the part at 10. Order at 11, have it at 3

Third From Texas

I have used these on many personal and commercial/military projects: https://www.mcmaster.com/lanyards/create-your-own-lanyards-not-for-lifting/

I have a pair of these crimpers, which also work pretty well: https://smile.amazon.com/IWISS-Swager-Crimping-Fishing-Lines/dp/B00NJH8QXO/

I had a Jetski and HobieCat rental for 20 years. My business partner was a local sailboat dealer and I did rigging for a lot of years (everything from Lasers to J-Boats to Camper&Nicholsons)

Rule #1: make your own cables = 1/10th what over-the-counter costs
*military surplus has an even bigger markup than yachts/marine rip-off crap

So yeah...

:)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks