• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

make time out LONGER

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
how about making it longer before timed out, some of us are VERY challenced in typing and spelling, by the time we get a long reply done, we are timed out, then everything is LOST, also readind a long topic with many pages, sometimes you have to read the pages to refresh your self as to what is going on, when your done, you find your self timedout when you go to reply and again the reply is LOST

Last edited:

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had timeout problems before, something to do with the cookies... Now use firefox instead of internet explorer, and I have yet to time out.

Also, you can right click where you are typing, click select all, and then copy. If it times out on you, log back in and where you type, right click again, and click paste. All your previous work will be copied onto the new page.

Dennis

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Ron, I was having similar issues. A reset of my router worked well (after I pestered Mangus and my ISP for about a week.) Have you tried that?

KaiserM109

… some of us are VERY challenced in typing and spelling, by the time we get a long reply done, we are timed out, then everything is LOST, …
I am usually multi-tasking and, although I am a good typist (I do it for a living), I can get timed out too. Also I am an engineer and spelling is not one of my natural skills so I use Microsoft Word when things get long or complicated.

Assuming that you have MS Word on your computer, here is a quick tutorial:
1. Open Word in a new window.
2. To get the same font and color as this site uses, start typing in the reply window and then copy it into the Word window. Then continue your composition in Word.
3. When you are done select all in the Word window, copy, go to the SS reply window and paste it.

“Hot key strokes” make this all faster:
1. Select all: ‘Ctrl-a’ (Ctrl-a means hold down the Ctrl key and hit ‘a’ (or ‘A’).
2. Copy: ‘Ctrl-c’
3. Paste: ‘Ctrl-v’

If your SS window timed out, you still have all your work in Word. All you have to do then is start over in SS and paste your work into it.

You can also do multiple quotes by opening different SS reply windows by hitting “Quote”, copying out the control sequences into your Word document and then canceling your SS window.

I use this a lot to get the benefits of spelling correction. One last thing, when you want to add to the end of your Word document and keep the font color, go to the end of your last line of text and hit “Enter”. If you simply go to the bottom of the document, you will usually get black characters like this:

Hope this helps,
Arlyn

PS Just about any word processor will probably work, including the hot keys, if you don't have Word.

Last edited:

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use Firefox, have for years, it's the best thing going right now. But I too have the timeout problem. If I open a new window to check out a linked site or look at GL, most of the time when I come back to the SS window I'm timed out (I never close or minimize the SS window). Same with typing a long post or reply.

grizcty

how about making it longer before timed out, some of us are VERY challenced in typing and spelling, by the time we get a long reply done, we are timed out, then everything is LOST, also readind a long topic with many pages, sometimes you have to read the pages to refresh your self as to what is going on, when your done, you find your self timedout when you go to reply and again the reply is LOST

I agree 100%.

I too am very SLOOOOW, at typing.
With poor spelling, and being long winded!:roll:
Or, I will try to read multiple threads, on different pages.
While answering business calls, &/or taking care of customers.
And have this happened, too many times.:evil:

Called my son about it, while being ticked off.
He started laughing. Lucky for him, he is a couple hundred miles away.(otherwise I would of strangled him)
And he said, it is a easy fix.
Write your reply in a Thunderbird email.

Then copy & past it to S.S..
Problem solved!:smile:

papercu

I now use Opera but have tried foxfire and did use IE for a long time, Never recall having this site time out. Now, I never sign in or out and just refresh the page when I come back to SS. Wayne

WarrenD

Guess I've been lucky, I've never had a time-out either. Use Firefox at home, IE at work because the IT guy knows more about it than I do......yeh, right.....believe that and I've got a bridge to sell you in NYC.

Lifer

In Memorial
In Memorial
I now use Opera but have tried foxfire and did use IE for a long time, Never recall having this site time out. Now, I never sign in or out and just refresh the page when I come back to SS. Wayne
I tried FoxFire for a while, but my computer or my ISP didn't seem to like it. My son-in-law recently switched to Opera, which isn't bad and has the added benefit that no one has gotten around to attacking it with unwanted viruses. Right now, I'm still using IE and having no problems with timeout issues. I'm a 30-year teletype operator, so my typiong skills are pretty sharp. Arthritis has slowed me down to about 85 wpm, now, so I can now think faster than I type. (Maybe that's why I don't time out?;) )

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use firefox and have for sometime now. Much,much better than IE. I have never been timed out on this site. Firefox has a master password option. You enter it once a day and all your saved password sites open logged in.

I am using IE at work right now and it has not timed out on me. Not really a computer guru...So, I don't know.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks