• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Making a Deuce a (better) highway vehicle?

Marauder_Pilot

A project I've wanted to do...well, for **** near ever is to build a camper/expedition vehicle out of a M109. Something that could take me camping pretty much wherever I want to, tow my Jeep to and from some of the more famous trails, hit up paintball scenario games, things like that.

However, obviously, the Deuce isn't exactly known for speed on the highway. While I know they'll cruise quite happily at about 50-55 MPH, is there any way, short of swapping the entire drivetrain with that of a heavy truck designed for highway speed (Since I know that, if I swapped the engine, I'd probably have to swap in a new transmission, transfer case, maybe axels and so on...), of getting a Deuce to, at the very least, cruise safely at the average 60 MPH limit?

Any input would be much appreciated!

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The deuce accually does better around 45mph. You can run 55 with a stock truck but they seem to come apart sometimes at that speed.

Easiest way to get more mph out of the truck is with bigger tires. You may want more power then though. That would require an engine swap. I'd go with a 6BT Cummins. If I was going to mod much more than that I'd look for another truck. You could replace the whole drivetrain but that's going to cost some big bucks.

Marauder_Pilot

What kind of power loss would we be talking about with bigger tires, and how big are we talking? I'm not too concerned about losing off-road performance (There's a long way to go there, and, like I said, more of a highway vehicle that is also incredibly awesome then a wheeler).

EDIT: 73X, any recommendations in that area as well? While I'm a bit of a MV geek, I've always been more into Jeeps then the larger trucks, so I'm not all that educated in the area-hence, why I'm here.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll be honest with you, if you're planning on making long trips in the deuce it may not be the truck for you. Some poeple love the long trips but it can wear on you. They are loud, cold in the winter, hot in the summer, not a whole lot of leg room if you are tall, and you get wet when it rains. I'm not trying to discourage you but am trying to make sure you know what you're getting into :wink:.

panshark

On a quick note, when I got my duece I aired the tires up to highway spec, and got a 5 mph increase over what the previous owner got. Makes sense...proper air pressure=less drag, which let's you go faster. That 5 mph increase was with a load of wood in the back, too.

Marauder_Pilot

Well, I drove a Mitsubishi J-series Jeep about 3000 KM, and drive a Jeep TJ every day, and on numerous highway trips, so I've got a high tolerance for road abuse. :-D

That said, I only went to the Deuce at first simply because that's the only one I have anything resembling real knowledge about. Are there more modern trucks that are better suited to camperizing and long highway trips that are conceivably available for us to buy?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
MP, Just a quick question. Is your location a typo? I've never heard of a location with an abbreviation of "YT".

tm america

and i would put a muffler on there to it makes a big difference .i have a dynomax bullet style on my truck it is a 3.5 inch full flow muffler .also as said before running more air in the tires is a great idea for the highway it gives you better mpg to:roll:

Marauder_Pilot

MP, Just a quick question. Is your location a typo? I've never heard of a location with an abbreviation of "YT".
Nope, it's correct. Stands for 'Yukon Territory', that sparsely-populated wedge of Canada between Alaska and the Northwest Territories, where bears outnumber humans and you are required, by law, to own at least one strange vehicle. :-D

(Although I'm actually in Windsor, ON right now, just north...well, south, technically...of Detroit, finishing school)

EDIT: TM, thanks for those points, they're definitely something to consider. I'm not looking for something that'll blast down the highway at 100 MPH all day, just something that doesn't run the risk of dropping under the minimum speed limit...

tm america

i will take some pics for you tomorrow if it's still light out when i get home from work.there is a triangle shaped cover that is held on with two 7/16 headed 1/4 bolts that go from the top to the bottom.then the adjustment is right there look in the tms for throttle stop plate adjustment

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks