• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Making my own engine oil.......

rdixiemiller

Drove the deuce to Atlanta today with a load of scrap. Noticed the power was a little down, attributed that to the 4 ton load. Got into town (60 miles) with no real issues, but I kept smelling hot diesel fuel. When I got to the scrapyard and got out, I see the pax door is completely covered in oil. Hmm....not a good thing. Draft tube is puffing white smoke rapidly. Hmm....looks worse. I get unloaded and head home. Oil pressure is dropping. Doesn't want to get past 2200rpm. Acts like the fuel filter is stopped up. I get home and start checking the truck over. Oil level is about a gallon overfull. Oil is really thin. Can't really smell fuel, but I seem to be making oil. I am guessing my FDC is leaking, since it is still hooked up. I think the white smoke I was seeing from the draft tube was the diesel boiling out of the engine oil. Sounds like oil and filter change, plus bypassing the compensator and see what happens. That and give the truck a bath!
As if I didn't have enough stuff to do getting ready for Aberdeen!!

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had this happen with my Ford 4000 tractor, TWICE. Had fuel come out the dipstick hole while we were using the tractor. Finally found out it was the IP pump shaft leaking fuel into the crankcase. $29 worth of repairs and gaskets later, it was fixed! So yes, definitly find the problem along with changing the oil, or you will have to change it again. (like mine, in the middle of the woods while your trying to get some work done.)

m139h2otruck

Now, at least the inside of the engine should be real clean!

When we went to get our gasser 5 ton, it started and ran sort of OK, but when my son ran it around the field to get a feel for it, it really started to act rich and run bad. Gas was running out of the bell housing drain, and I thought that we had wrecked the rear main seal or something. The fuel pump vent was connected to the bell housing, and since the diaphragm had turned to porous fabric, the gas was running both into the crankcase and the bell housing. Ended up with about 2 gallons in the pan extra, but the engine was completely clean of sludge. Didn't run long enough to hurt any thing, as oil pressure is 55+ at speed HOT and 20+ steady at idle with the engine at 180-190 degrees. Reading confirmed with mechanical gage also.

Manstein

Chaplain Emeritus
General Motors had a problem with the injectors leaking on the DuraMax diesels. They are mounted under the valve covers to the head and would leak diesel fuel into the crankcase. I've seen hundreds that came in with fuel dripping off the complete frame and suspension along with a nice sheen across the tailgate. You could pull the dipstick and it would be all the way to the top of the tube with diesel fuel. I never saw one bearing failure. You'd think it would tear them to pieces but it actually worked good flushing the crank case. You should be ok once you stop the fuel leak.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Wow, that stinks RDM, but like Jason said, at least it didn't happen in convoy on the way to Aberdeen. Hopefully it'll be an easy fix for you!

rdixiemiller

Re: oil

papercu said:
load of scrap

Paper, Plastic or MVs ?? Wayne
Stainless steel.

OK. Checked the oil today after it sat all night. The oil level is 4-5" above the full mark. Now that it is cold, I can smell the diesel fuel. I am going to pull the IP off my parts truck tomorrow and check it over before I change it onto my engine. I'll test fire it up, then change oil and filter.
Question: What does everyone think? IP or FDC leaking?

blue302stang

General Motors had a problem with the injectors leaking on the DuraMax diesels. They are mounted under the valve covers to the head and would leak diesel fuel into the crankcase. I've seen hundreds that came in with fuel dripping off the complete frame and suspension along with a nice sheen across the tailgate. You could pull the dipstick and it would be all the way to the top of the tube with diesel fuel. I never saw one bearing failure. You'd think it would tear them to pieces but it actually worked good flushing the crank case. You should be ok once you stop the fuel leak.
Happened to mine. It spun a bearing on crank or rod on all 8 cylinders. 16k miles and it got a new motor under warranty

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks