• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Making oil.... where to start looking?

CanonNinja

Noticed this weekend working on the truck that I had a good amount of diesel in the oil. Did a quick change, but need some tips where to start looking for bad seals on the injection pump or what I need to start rebuilding next week. There's no FDC on my truck, it's completely removed by the depot during rebuild. Kenny?

CanonNinja

never thought about that... mine's never worked as far as I know (switch doesn't do anything)

all I know is thank God I've been running filtered engine oil/WVO and diesel mix, the oil that came out of the pan was still somewhat lubricating

truckdoctor

Hey on the subject of diesel getting in the engine oil, make sure that you don't have a cylinder with a broken piston ring or a hole in the piston. I helped on a deuce yesterday that had a piston with a hole in it and the diesel was coming from the injector spraying fuel through the hole. Also check your transfer pump along with your injection pump because transfer pumps can start leaking internally. Hope that helps.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This subject has been covered several times before, do a search on this site...
The flame heater may leak fuel into the intake manifold adapter, don't know about the crankcase.

CanonNinja

cranetruck said:
This subject has been covered several times before, do a search on this site...
The flame heater may leak fuel into the intake manifold adapter, don't know about the crankcase.

did, didn't come with much, maybe I was searching the wrong keywords :oops:

Talked to Kenny today, thinks I'm probably looking at a full IP rebuild, which isn't cheap :(

CanonNinja

truckdoctor said:
Hey on the subject of diesel getting in the engine oil, make sure that you don't have a cylinder with a broken piston ring or a hole in the piston. I helped on a deuce yesterday that had a piston with a hole in it and the diesel was coming from the injector spraying fuel through the hole. Also check your transfer pump along with your injection pump because transfer pumps can start leaking internally. Hope that helps.

doubt that's the case, atleast I hope so... truck runs very smoothly, lots of power, not much, if any smoke

could I have caused a backup in the pump somewhere running WVO that wasn't filtered enough perhaps?

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
the worst thing regarding the ip would be having to replace the 2 'o' rings under the ip head, not very hard to do. to check for leaking lower 'o' ring you need to remove and plug the overflow valve port and pressurize the supply port to 60 psi. do this with the shutoff lever cover off, and any fuel leaking will come out there.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
ah, the engine oil drain(?) for the govenor housing. i would think it would have the same oil as the engine, from wence it came??

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Based on the oil flow diagram in the TM, this is the original drain for the IP, so my guess is that the concentration of fuel in the oil would be higher here than in the crankcase, at least that was my point.