• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Making Pioneer Tools For M35A2

bguy193

I have been searching for tool sets and decided to improvise. I found a garden tool sale at the local hardware store and went shopping. Every tool was $10 or less.
1)...The Pick Mattock did not need to be modified just painted. It has a plastic crown on the handle, which I found to be no big deal, but it can be replaced with a full wooden handle in the future.
2)...Standard axe handles are a bit long and will not allow the shovel to sit down properly in the tool rack so it had to be shortened 1-3/4" You can see the cuts I made in the pic below.
3)...Every one knows that a standard shovel is too long and will never fit in the rack as is. The handle on the shovel had to be shortened 4-3/4" then I had to reshape the shaft to accept the grip back onto it. I drilled new holes in the shaft and re-pinned the grip to the shaft....... Refer to pic below.
4)...Then I prepped and painted everything. [thumbzup]

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Coleman's Surplus has the correct sized mattox and shovel. The shovel has a plastic handle, but that just means it will be more comfortable.

The local True Value had the correct sized axe for my pioneer rack.

wildbilly1760

That is a good idea and worked out good. I had a hard time paying the 20 bucks for the right straps so I bought some foriegn mil surplus straps at the army navy store and cut them down to work in my pioneer rack.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guess what fellas, the NSN on the shovel is still being used, but the actual shovel the Army is purchasing is too long for the pioneer rack. I've seen them, even got to handle one. Happened when the change from a true "D" handle went to more of a tulip shape like you find at most stores now. Cutting down the handle is the only way to get the proper fit.:(

M813A1

Memphis Equipment sales has the correct shovel that will fit in the pioneer racks !! they sell them on E bay for $ 25.00 I got my axe and maddox at the local hardware store and it is the correct length and manufacture !!

avengeusa

Nice, I did the same thing, got the maddox with the fiberglass/plastic handle and just painted it, bought a shovel and took it apart, put it on the lathe to re contour after cutting and drilled the holes, hosed it all down with green and i am good to go

CGarbee

Looks good. I also am using a mattock that has the plastic bushing on the handle. Looks ok IMHO...

The specifications (from the 1950's) for these tools (it's the same rack as on a M37 so I figure that the tools should be the same..) show:
AXE: Single bit, 4 lb head weight, 4.750 inch cutting head, 31.00 inch handle length, Federal Spec GGG-A-926, type 1, class 1, design A.
MATTOCK: Pick type; without handle, 5 lb head, Federal Spec GGG-H-506, TypeII, Class F.
MATTOCK Handle, Hickory, 36.00 inch length, Federal Spec NN-H-93, type 5, Class 1, Grade B.
SHOVEL, Hand, Round point, open back construction, 12.500 inch blade length, 10.250 blade width, DF-style handle, Federal Spec GGG-S-326, Type 4, Class A, Style 1, Size 2.

I have a page on my website that include the above and some more info (such as a discussion on painting them). The page is located at:
Pioneer Tool Rack and Tools

Jimma

Correct Tools

I just purchased three sets in Danielsville, GA from a surplus dealer. He has the correct pick ax, ax and shovel. The entire set cost about $45. He also has them available mounted on some sort of Jeep pioneer rack that could be strapped or mounted to just about anything and the whole set with the rack cost about $65. If I remember correctly the shovel may have been made by true temper.

emr

I just purchased three sets in Danielsville, GA from a surplus dealer. He has the correct pick ax, ax and shovel. The entire set cost about $45. He also has them available mounted on some sort of Jeep pioneer rack that could be strapped or mounted to just about anything and the whole set with the rack cost about $65. If I remember correctly the shovel may have been made by true temper.
Its sounds like the humvee pioneer rack to me, and the price is about right also, at most shows they sell for less than the new stuff, Now I sure know not eveyone is lucky enough to have a bigger show with alot of competion, so what U can get is what is good.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hehe, I got a good supply of pick/mattocks from FrankUSMC when he was peddling them. I was lucky enough to find a shovel in one of my trailers and I had a rotted out axe. Found the exact replacement handle at Hotel Delta.

cjcottrill

I have found a good selection of mattocs at our local flea market. Old ones that fit well are usually 3-5 dollars. The local True Value store had four d-ring shovel to choose from. One was too long, one too short, A Chinese wood handle with steel d-ring that fit well for 13.99 and an American made fiberglass handle that fit well for about 35.00. I spent the extra mony to buy American. With the OD paint it looks great. Back to the the flea market for the ax, most are 5-8 dollars old and fit well.

tcruwithme

The shovel that Coleman's advertises as "Shovel, NEW, US Military Pioneer Type" is 39" long. I ordered one from them and it's too long for the Poineer Rack.

mikev

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OD paint question

I have been searching for tool sets and decided to improvise. I found a garden tool sale at the local hardware store and went shopping. Every tool was $10 or less.
1)...The Pick Mattock did not need to be modified just painted. It has a plastic crown on the handle, which I found to be no big deal, but it can be replaced with a full wooden handle in the future.
2)...Standard axe handles are a bit long and will not allow the shovel to sit down properly in the tool rack so it had to be shortened 1-3/4" You can see the cuts I made in the pic below.
3)...Every one knows that a standard shovel is too long and will never fit in the rack as is. The handle on the shovel had to be shortened 4-3/4" then I had to reshape the shaft to accept the grip back onto it. I drilled new holes in the shaft and re-pinned the grip to the shaft....... Refer to pic below.
4)...Then I prepped and painted everything. [thumbzup]
Very nice and could you share your OD paint type/source? I'd like to buy some rattle cans of OD and your pictures show the correct shade I'm looking for.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks