• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Making progress on summer projects

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I've been working on several projects for my M1009.

The first one was to get a new (yes NEW) dashpad from GM. DONE.

Second one was to paint said new dashpad the correct color. DONE.

Second part duex was to ALSO PAINT the side panels. DONE.

Cut, weld and clean up my SECOND spare tire holder on the drivers side. DONE.

I still have to get parts from LMC Truck to finish most of the little things like the molding inserts in the dashpad, all the weather stripping (lots of it!), replacements for other little bits and bobs. Order from LMC Truck. DONE.

All I need to do is to get the rest of the parts in and then install them. STILL WAITING. OK, so I just ordered my parts from LMC Trucks today, so it will be about a week.

And just so you guys are satisfied, here are a couple of pix.

View attachment 137760

View attachment 137761

View attachment 137762

View attachment 137763

And when it's all done and put back together I'll post some more pix. Probably before the end of September (please dear God, let me get all this done before the snow flies).

Last edited:

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The paint is the stock color vinyl paint my auto paint store guy pulled from the spec sheet on the inside of the glove box. So it's factory original.

Two spares? I don't know. Just because I'm anal? Or just because I don't want to worry about fixing a flat if I'm still on the road or on the trail.

Lots of reasons. Mainly it's because no one else does. And that's a factory spare tire holder cut in three places and then welded back together so it looks correct, even though it's on the incorrect side. Hey, I said I was anal. And I had one just laying around. Gonna do the same type thing in the bed of the M1028A2 also. Two spares, one mounted on each side, up front of the wheel well humps. Pretty much dead space and I won't let either of them stick into the main bed area.

As my summer projects are getting done, I figured I would post some more pix. I'll be displaying my two trucks this weekend at the Rocky Mountain air show at Front Range airport and I've been busting my hump to get most of this done by this weekend.

I still have not replaced the rear tailgate crank or the rest of the weather stripping, though I do have all of it in hand now. Probably next week or so I'll have the time to finish up with the replacing all the weather stripping in the Blazer.

SO, on to the pix.

First pic is of the passenger side panel after being repainted the correct color and mounted back onto the door with new weatherstripping on both sides of the glass.

Second pic shows how much dust accumulates UNDER a dash pad after 24 years.

Third pic shows the new dash pad after painting it the correct color.

I gotta tell ya. It's REALLY WEIRD riding around in a truck with a new dash pad after driving around for three years with a really badly ratted out dash pad.

View attachment 138560

View attachment 138561

View attachment 138562

allrevup

Not sure if you ask me?
But yes , I did.

I had remove the door panel for cleaning, lubrication, new ONE KEY locks/ignition and ALL window guides & seals. I found the best for me ( with the truck lift) was to remove the vent window, and replace the rivet (LMC has the correct replacement, I just went to Lowe's for the correct size stainless steel screw washer and nut and paint it flat black) will at it wire brush the corrosion of the channels and vent window tension spring, paint everything satin black. I took the rubber parts and heated then in hot water and with a little soapy water and the side of a good cutter pin puller, "L" shaped and round tapered to a point , to avoid damage to the rubber. Push into the channel. A second set of hands comes handy! the first time by myself, about 3 hours... the second less then 30 min. with help! Notice you will also need some black weather strip addicive at least for the section between the vent and window.

Good Luck!

Last edited:

allenhillview

Hey alrevup, also did mine some time ago just wanted to ask someone else if was any easier than mine were. Yes it was a task!!! But I put back brass two step rivets that we made on a lath here in our shop. I made the mistake of ordering the one piece first then sent back and reordered the two piece, so thanks for your reply. Hey , what route did you take on getting one key? Locksmith or a new set?

allrevup

Hey alrevup, also did mine some time ago just wanted to ask someone else if was any easier than mine were. Yes it was a task!!! But I put back brass two step rivets that we made on a lath here in our shop. I made the mistake of ordering the one piece first then sent back and reordered the two piece, so thanks for your reply. Hey , what route did you take on getting one key? Locksmith or a new set?

Yes , good note! If I remenver correctly the civilians truck went to one piece vent seals in 1984, but like a few other things the military for the most stayed with the 1983 parts for the most, black non locking window vents and black door locks, 6.2 engine engine mounts, 14 bolts with out the reinforcement ribs on the punking like some 1986 and rare 1987 witch may have beign retrofited (??) and frame support for some of the marine air lifted units

allenhillview

Yes , good note! If I remenver correctly the civilians truck went to one piece vent seals in 1984, but like a few other things the military for the most stayed with the 1983 parts for the most, black non locking window vents and black door locks, 6.2 engine engine mounts, 14 bolts with out the reinforcement ribs on the punking like some 1986 and rare 1987 witch may have beign retrofited (??) and frame support for some of the marine air lifted units
Hey what about the locks,did you buy all three somewhere? just where was that webbing in the frame on those more rare machines? Thanks Allen

allrevup

If I remember correctly the most notable ribs were at the top of pun kin/case,
they may have also had other improvements.

The 3 lock set came from GMC Paul's truck parts #1171892 (765) 344-2906 about $35 in '06 with S/H