• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

making small batches of custom parts

jesusgatos

Here's the deal; I'm a product designer and... I'm building a Deuce. I'm going to make a lot of custom parts for it. A lot of those parts are going to be laser-cut sheetmetal parts. The kind of stuff that it's a shame to make only one/two of. So if anybody else is interested in any of this, let's talk. I can create SolidWorks models of all these parts and: 1) we can either share CAD files and all have parts cut locally, 2) have a batch of parts made and ship laser-cut parts in weld-it-yourself kits, 3) work with a company that might be interested in making/selling these parts to us as a finished product.

We already share a lot of parts-files like these here and have worked with a lot of companies to develop off-road products. I'm just sort of new to the MV market and don't even really know who all the players are, so I don't know who to talk to about designing/making/selling any of this stuff. Can I get some feedback on a few of the things that I've been thinking about lately? Some of this stuff IS being made or will be made (at least for my truck), but I'd like to get input from anyone that's interested.

modular rear bumpers
I've been thinking about adding a read bumper to Mah Deuce. Maybe I'll replace the bumperettes with something that wraps-around, like a formed wrap-around sheetmetal bumper or maybe some tubework. I'd like to protect the rear corners on my M109 box, and would probably turn that top surface into a step of some sort. This probably wouldn't be very useful on a regular truck, so there's a limited appeal.

But the other thing I've been thinking about (related to rear bumpers) is the pintle hitch. I'd like to replace it with something more like a typical 2" receiver hitch. I'm going to be towing an M353 trailer with a Lunette eye 80-90% of the time, but I'd like to have a 2" receiver hitch too (for a lot of reasons). I've seen pictures of all the 2" receiver hitches that people have adapted to their trucks and I don't want to go that route. I would rather add-to/modify/replace the stock rear crossmember. This would be something like the center-section of a nice aftermarket Jeep bumper, with some sort of an over-sized receiver hitch. I wouldn't want to lose the swiveling pintle-hitch, so I'd figure out how to re-use that.

Hydraulic winch mounted between the framerails right behind the rear bumper? Might be a good reason the chop-up a front bumper to use as the starting point for a rear bumper center-section. What else?

front bumpers
Would be cool, but this is a much lower-priority project for me. A nice custom front bumper with a built-in winch mount and some storage boxes would be sweet though.

hub steps
I've seen these used on the big safari trucks, and I'd like to make some for our trucks. I've already got these designed and I'm waiting for the sheetmetal shop to make some sample parts. I think I might just have a small batch of these made up and offer them for sale myself. I try to avoid that, but these are pretty simple parts. EDIT 07/01/09: more pics & info here

custom hard-tops
Does anybody have blueprints for these? Taking those dimensions would be super-simple, but I don't have one.

AC compressor mounts
This might end up being a product offered for sale by one of the companies that I'm working with on the Air Conditioning that I'm adapting to Mah Deuce.

What about the highly controversial axle chain-up brackets?

EDIT 6/27:
Shock mounts! I forgot about these, but I'm planning on adding shocks to the both of the rear axles, and I'm going to upgrade the front shocks too - probably to some type of 2.5" diameter remote-reservoir desert racing shocks. Hydraulic bumpstops might be difficult to package, but I'm going to look into that as well.

Last edited:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The a/c bracket is agreat idea.

How about the folding front steps? They go for reasonably big money on ebay even though there is a set on every week? Simple component, 2 pieces, plus lock (pin) and hardware (nuts and bolts).

You know what I'd like to see? The rarely seen brackets for the wheel chocks. I got one out of a junkyard, Ryan Gill got the other. I have seen them on other trucks in pictures, but hardly ever in person. I'd probably buy 6, 2 for each truck and 2 for my M105A2. See pics below.

Also, a bunch of us have these spotlights like what come on bridge trucks and wrecker s and I'd like to see somebody make universal mounts for them so you could either bolt the mount to a post or directly onto the truck somewhere.

Attachments

jesusgatos

AC Compressor and 12v alternator brackets would be nice. (As in addition to 24v, not replacement.)
Forgot about the 12V alternator mount. I haven't thought too much about this yet, but I'll definitely need one for my motorhome conversion.
The a/c bracket is agreat idea.

How about the folding front steps? They go for reasonably big money on ebay even though there is a set on every week? Simple component, 2 pieces, plus lock (pin) and hardware (nuts and bolts).

You know what I'd like to see? The rarely seen brackets for the wheel chocks. I got one out of a junkyard, Ryan Gill got the other. I have seen them on other trucks in pictures, but hardly ever in person. I'd probably buy 6, 2 for each truck and 2 for my M105A2. See pics below.

Also, a bunch of us have these spotlights like what come on bridge trucks and wrecker s and I'd like to see somebody make universal mounts for them so you could either bolt the mount to a post or directly onto the truck somewhere.
Show me some pictures of the folding front steps. I'm sure those would be pretty easy to reproduce.

Those chock mounts are stupid-simple. I can have those made as soon as you can get me some accurate dimensions. I've actually got a set of wheel chocks that I could design mounts for, but I'm guessing you'd like the mounts to have the same hole locations and general dimensions as the stock ones?

jodka

I suspect, based on the many previous discussions here at Steel Soldiers on these subjects, and the scarcity of original kits, that these would, by far, be the most popular kits which you could create for the deuce:

- A fording kit.
- A split-brake system kit
- The bumper-mounted crane.

You can set up polls here, so if you get serious about choosing, that could help if you want to select on the basis of popularity.

I don't own a deuce myself, but those are my impressions of what seems to be in demand by those who do.

- Allen

avengeusa

I suspect, based on the many previous discussions here at Steel Soldiers on these subjects, and the scarcity of original kits, that these would, by far, be the most popular kits which you could create for the deuce:

- A fording kit.
- A split-brake system kit
- The bumper-mounted crane.

You can set up polls here, so if you get serious about choosing, that could help if you want to select on the basis of popularity.

I don't own a deuce myself, but those are my impressions of what seems to be in demand by those who do.

- Allen
I am already working on a split brake system.....

may be a while, and i do want a fording system

Jake0147

I don't know if it's smaller than you're looking for, but I'd have bought them if you were selling them. Anybody who's ever stacked firewood in a dropside deuce would appreciate these.

Attachments

jesusgatos

I'm not only interested in making parts to sell. It would be great to have parts-files for some of this stuff that we could share, and anyone could download/use for free. Post-up some dimensions of those little brackets and let's add them to the list.

tm america

jake they come with a rod that is hooked and threaded in that location from the factory. it would be nice to repro them how they were since they keep the bed sides from moving in or out and the setup you have only stops the bed side from moving out .it needs to work both ways cuz when you have the tailgate down and are using the troop seats the bed sides move alot without them

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Show me some pictures of the folding front steps. I'm sure those would be pretty easy to reproduce.

Those chock mounts are stupid-simple. I can have those made as soon as you can get me some accurate dimensions. I've actually got a set of wheel chocks that I could design mounts for, but I'm guessing you'd like the mounts to have the same hole locations and general dimensions as the stock ones?
Pics below of steps.

I will try and fine mine-I misplaced it a while back. I think I am more worried about them being shaped in a way that they will accept more than one size/style of rubber chock.

Attachments

jesusgatos

Those steps would be stupid-simple to make, but I've got a question: Do you guys want these parts reproduced as they were, or is it worth talking about making new-and-improved versions of any of these parts? For instance, If we added four door hinges on the vertical sides, the step would be able to take an impact from just about any direction without getting damaged. Then there are the steps like the PG&E trucks use, that are supported by cables. Those also look pretty indestructible. Not saying there's anything wrong with the stock ones (I've never even seen a set in person), just asking. I see those steps have several holes in them. Do they get stowed in an 'up-position' so they're out-of-the-way when not needed?

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Those steps would be stupid-simple to make, but I've got a question: Do you guys want these parts reproduced as they were, or is it worth talking about making new-and-improved versions of any of these parts? For instance, If we added four door hinges on the vertical sides, the step would be able to take an impact from just about any direction without getting damaged. Then there are the steps like the PG&E trucks use, that are supported by cables. Those also look pretty indestructible. Not saying there's anything wrong with the stock ones (I've never even seen a set in person), just asking. I see those steps have several holes in them. Do they get stowed in an 'up-position' so they're out-of-the-way when not needed?
I would want them more or less stock. I don't think I'd want the hinges, because when you aren't using it, the step is folded up and pretty much out of the way.

Maybe the guy asking for 5 ton ones wants them taller? I wouldn't do that as these steps are already close to the front tires on a non winch deuce.

Another point would be what they would sell for. I have seen these go anywhere from $25 to $50 on ebay.

Front bumper step 2 1/2 ton, M35A2 M800 M715 M37 M211:eBay Motors (item 290322982323 end time Jun-15-09 13:08:53 PDT)

bigelk50

5 ton step

Why would that need to be any different than a Deuce step?

Taller is what I was thinking. Also thinking that they could fold up from one side to the other parallel under the bumper so that they would not be in the way of the steer tire. I had seen something homemade like this before.

Or it could be a taller step that hooks on the the front bumper. When you step your weight on it, it locks it to the bumper. I have a non winch m818 and I think this step could be handy as you could move it to different spots on the bumper.

Just a thought, Thanks