• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Making the drive from Los Angeles to Anchorage, Any suggestions on stuff to bring?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's not true. Please view this website for proper instructions.
http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/visit-visite-eng.htm

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Well your not going to drive up the the check point without a bunch of things done a head of time and get in.
They also have a long list of misdemeanor convictions that will prohibit you from entry without prior approval ( usually 6 to 12 months from what so guys on a bridge crew from michigan stated) . Myself I haven't been to canada in over 20 years since the last time I was there we ended up going back and forth over the Blue Water Bridge 8 times and spent the better part of the day trying to cross back in because neither side could seem to get their paper work straight for a load of empty fish totes .

Chaski

Stuff I would bring....
Cash.
Phone.
Duct tape.
Spare Belts.
Coolant.
Fuel.
Oils.
Fuel injector or two.
Hoses (including the little injector return hose).
Some spare wire and electrical tape.
Spare tires.
A real floor jack.
Jumper cables.
Tools, including a full set of sockets and end wrenches, screwdrivers, stuff to swap an injector, multimeter, pliers etc.

Things I would do before I leave...
Check wheel bearings for play.
Replace the oil cooler hoses if they have not been replaced in recent history.
Grease everything you can grease.
Check u-bolts/ spring hangers/ crossmembers/ drivetrain fasteners tight.
Change the oil in everything (& transmission filter)
Check and or replace every rubber hose (brake hoses too)
Make sure your fuel system is in decent shape.
Check your brakes.
Prove your cooling system.
Have decent batteries.

If you are planning on traveling soon you will be on the road during the warmest part of the year. The Siskiyous on I5 are no joke, it is the highest elevation pass on I5 period (Higer than the Coquihalla in Canada) And it is in southern Oregon where the temperature will be hot.

Don't know what kind of food you like, but I can suggest a few. None of these places are spendy, all are good in my book.

Hayward CA....
BBQ. Everett and Jones BBQ 296 A Street Hayward CA. (BBQ in the hood, order through bulletproof glass. Beef links are unmatched anywhere, this place is worth a detour IMHO)

Sacramento CA...
Korean. Koreana Plaza 10971 Olson Dr Rancho Cordova CA. (Crazy Korean food court inside)

Redding California...
Burgers. Damburger 1320 Placer Street Redding CA (odd press fried burgers)

Medford Oregon...
Burgers / Cafe. Jasper's Cafe. 2739 N Pacific Hwy Medford OR (Really good cafe food)

Portland Oregon...
Food truck heaven (40 plus food trucks in one city block) Corner of SW 9th Ave and SW Alder St. Portland Or. You can find anything in one city block. (This place is insane, only the good food trucks survive) It is one entire city block of vendors plus a corner of an adjacent block.

Seattle Washington...
Bar food & Cask & Trotter 711 Westlake Ave N Seattle WA. (Bar food done right)

Last edited:

choll

My truck is a daily driver but has done many cross country trip. I carry a spare of just about everything including starter and alts. I see you replaced you oil lines, I would suggest bringing a spare set with you. I replaced mine drove to mexico a 9 hour drive and one of the new ones blew. I only replaced them because the truck still had the originals. I kept them as spares, put the old one back in and continued my trip. I would of had fun trying to find that line down there. When I got back to the good old USA I put another new set in, a year later those lines blew on a trip to NJ. Yes they were installed correctly no rubbing etc they bulged and blew on top of wheel well. I now carry 2 set of lines. in the 18 years I have owned the truck that was the only time that I needed to do road side repairs.
chuck

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks