• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Making the Speedometer Accurate?

JD4044M

Got the Speedometer working nice and smooth now except it is off a little??? I set the DIP Switches to the same setting as the Old ones were. Need to find out which ones to switch to Up the Speed some on the back of the Speedometer. I drove 25 miles but only registered 18 miles so I know I am going faster then it shows! Did not want to just start flipping them (Off/On) to see if I could get it right.

JD4044M

My Speedo was a newer one off a newer year I still have my old one it may even work now cause my Generator was causing it to not work right having low voltage.

spankybear

I have the high gears and have played with the dip switches in the back. There are 2 setting you can find on this site. I tried both. My problem is I can have an accurate odometer or speedometer, not both. With the speedo set to match the GPS on my phone driving 1 mile is showing 1.2 miles on odo. Got to decided what is more important speed or distance.

coachgeo

I have the high gears and have played with the dip switches in the back. There are 2 setting you can find on this site. I tried both. My problem is I can have an accurate odometer or speedometer, not both. With the speedo set to match the GPS on my phone driving 1 mile is showing 1.2 miles on odo. Got to decided what is more important speed or distance.
go for distance accuracy and use GPS for speed. BUT... the mile marker(s) you are using might not be accurately placed either... you may want to re-test using several mile markers if you did not do that already

spankybear

go for distance accuracy and use GPS for speed. BUT... the mile marker(s) you are using might not be accurately placed either... you may want to re-test using several mile markers if you did not do that already
the mile markers are accurate both by time and GPS. I have the speedometer set for accurate speed as this is a safety thing and $$$ not getting a speeding ticket.

I have seen clams to 7-9 MPG but I wonder how they are measuring. I don't think the military cares too much for an accurate odo/

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got the Speedometer working nice and smooth now except it is off a little??? I set the DIP Switches to the same setting as the Old ones were. Need to find out which ones to switch to Up the Speed some on the back of the Speedometer. I drove 25 miles but only registered 18 miles so I know I am going faster then it shows! Did not want to just start flipping them (Off/On) to see if I could get it right.
I have a whole post somewhere that walks through the process of adjusting the speedometer switches (e.g. which ones to move to make bigger or smaller adjustments).

This picture (which I had on my PC but is also in that article) contains the jist of it...
Speedometer Setting Change Effects.png

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just let the speedometer hang out of the dash, and held the panel on with a couple screws. Then I drove back and forth about 1/4 mile on a road between two parking lots. Get up to a certain speed on the GPS, see what the speedometer is reading, then flip ONE switch (and remember which one). Repeat it.

If you can find the post it goes into greater detail of the exact process to bracket it on your ideal settings.

JD4044M

You made it sound easy now leaving it hang out of the Dash. Wish I had thought of that!! I have a lot of empty road to try this on. Ordered me 2- LED Head Lights tonight since I had a burned out low beam on one. Did not take much to get me to buy them!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks