• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Man what do I have ? and I think I made a mistake

nspctr1

A little history on me, I have rebuilt several old Toyota Landcruiser FJ40's in the past. Currently working on a C3 Corvette when I came across this M998 up for auction. I won the auction and had it shipped to me and I got it today. I went through it after reading one of the articles on " what did you find in your hmmwv?" Well, I found 2 live 5.56 rds, several blanks, .06 cents, about 6' of para cord and trash. All that said, I think I'm in love!!!WHat a truck!!!
That said, what is this in the rear foot well? See pic. looks like a rear seat but can't get it to raise up because the side panel is in place.
Next, I opened the hood this afternoon and was looking around and there is some coolant leaking from the bottom of the thermostat housing. If its not the hose or gasket I guess the only thing is a bad housing? Or could it be something else?

Thx.

Kevin

Attachments

It does look like a seat cushion. Not sure about the coolant leak, hmmwv are not my area of expertise. On another note on 04Feb at 1100 we are meeting at the Bill Miller's off 281 and Bitters RD if you are interested.

recksmilparts

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You just need to reseal housing. New gasket and sealant. East fix. But before all that tighten bolts and hose clamp and see if that fixes it.

nspctr1

Who is "We"? If I have it registered by then I may show up. Thx for the invite. It would probably be very informative. I'm not far from you. Im right off Toepperwein.

There is a group of us that own MVS in the area, we try and do car shows, parades, etc in the area. Don't need an MV to show up, it is our first get together of the year. We are on Facebook as "The Green Iron Gang".

desmodromic

A little history on me, I have rebuilt several old Toyota Landcruiser FJ40's in the past. Currently working on a C3 Corvette when I came across this M998 up for auction. I won the auction and had it shipped to me and I got it today. I went through it after reading one of the articles on " what did you find in your hmmwv?" Well, I found 2 live 5.56 rds, several blanks, .06 cents, about 6' of para cord and trash. All that said, I think I'm in love!!!WHat a truck!!!
That said, what is this in the rear foot well? See pic. looks like a rear seat but can't get it to raise up because the side panel is in place.
Next, I opened the hood this afternoon and was looking around and there is some coolant leaking from the bottom of the thermostat housing. If its not the hose or gasket I guess the only thing is a bad housing? Or could it be something else?

Thx.

Kevin
If you really want to see what is below the rear seat bases, the rear door blanks come off easily with only 3-4 bolts. For communication/radio trucks you'll find additional batteries stored there, but more than likely you will just find sand/dirt and some candy wrappers. At least that was my experience. ;)

Action

There should have been 2 dzus twist lock fasteners holding that panel (when flat) behind the driver seat. Remove the door filler panel. Slide the seat panel into the back of the seat base. The cushion will be at the top. Pull the cushion forward and put the two fasteners into the holes in fender and twist to lock in place.
Undo the clamps at the front of the rear seat bases to see what is in the storage areas.
Flip up that green padding and secure the metal rod in it to the top of the tunnel with two screws. There will not be a pad on the rear right area.
You can remove the rivets holding that flap to the door panel and put it back on the humvee and still use the rear seat.

Last edited: