• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mansfield Bars

RangerBob

I bet you clicked here because you thought it had something to do with drinking, huh? Sorry, no. :p

I did my searching and only came up with a couple of hits. One about the PA DoT claiming one was needed during a stop and another regarding a registration inspection in CT, so now I'm asking. Has anyone installed a Mansfield bar on their deuce (or larger truck)? Has anyone here ever been cited for not having one? Since so many of us are driving around without one, I'm pretty sure the deuce meets the specs for not requiring one, but probably by mere inches. So then, how about a consensus on whether it would be a good idea? Maybe something removable for shows? I'd prefer not having a Miata wedged under my diff. Have I spoke sacrilege? :roll:

Mansfield Bar aka Underride Guard aka ICC Bar

Last edited:

russ132

I unintentionally build one for my truck. Its real purpose was as a winch mount and trailer hitch. It does affect your clearance for a high angle approach in reverse. I have ground it out a time or two. It does however do the jobs I intended it for nicely.

Attachments

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Running up under the rear of a big truck is part of the natural selection process used to cull the terminally stupid from the human herd.

You can't idiot proof everything due to Mother Nature's inherent ability to upgrade the common idiot.:roll:

randini

I dont get it...If someone runs their car under my Deuce, the tires/axel stop them from going any further....No Problem for me.....
Maybe is I wraped the entire truck in bubble wrap, would that work to protect stupid people?

M1031CMT

From everything I have been told, it is another "feel good law". Meaning that it was made to make people think/feel that they are safe, but doesn't really help all that much.

Maybe in a low-speed accident it "might" help, but not for anything over 30mph.

Yes these are both corvettes that are made of plastic and fiberglass, but I doubt there would be much different from a small compact car. You can clearly see in the second picture, where the trailer had one on the back and it didn't help anything.

From what I have read on the DOT and other websites is that the "underride guard" is only needed on the semi trailers, not the actual trucks. Every article I read kept referring to the guard on "semi trailers". If it was required on trucks, then I think a lot of trucks would be in violation of that law, especially dump trucks (which almost all do not have rear bumpers because of the need to dump).

I believe it would only "maybe" apply if you had a lot of space between the rear axle and the back of the truck (like on semi-trailers). Where there would be space for a car to drive way in there. But that is only a guess. I have googled all I can, but I can't find anywhere about the wording of the law about the guards.

Attachments

Last edited:

zout

^^^^ what he said - customized by crunch.

Advise the officer the proper name is an ICC bumper. Commonly known in the trucking industry - and YES I thought you were talking about a BAR.

But than again you are talking about a COMMERCIAL VEHICLES as well. - I would have told him if anyone could idiodically plow a vehicle underneath your truck what was already there - it should have its own You Tube video of it.

ICC bumper per DOT regulations has to be so many inches off the ground with the horizontal bar - to keep idiots from going totally underneath your trailer (semi) (pups) not different that what you had pre-existing on your vehicle. Might I just add - it also has to have certified REFLECTIVE TAPE on it as well so in case they do no see the tape as they are plowing into it - they feel the bumper. Did he mention anything about the rear of your vehicle not having the proper refective tape on it as well ?

DOT handbooks are nearly free and if someone does not have one - when they write someone up I will more than happy to help you if FREE is not cheap enough - that once again covers COMMERCIAL vehicles either for Intrastate or Interstate commerence.

crazywelder72

i understand the idea and concept of ICC bars (thats what i have always known it as). on the semi trailers because the rear wheels are so far forward you would need it otherwise every accident would look like the corvetts. But on our deuces, the rear wheels are closer to the back bumper. That should keep them from eating the bumper IMO.

RangerBob

Here's someones recent experience...

Done! Done!

Well, Finally I got in touch with the right person, Lt. Don Bridge CT DOT Safety Supervisor. Informed me that Putnam DMV was incorrect. No DOT was needed, they have written an exclusion for weight and DOT requirements, as early american classification is 20 and we are 19, Title assignment says 1993 but I see 1997 on everything, axels included(thank God for Type Errors), they provided commercial plates with the DOT inactive and excluded. They did require the safety inspection and vin verification,one thing they did I was un aware of was measure open space from tailgate to mud flaps to check on a Tailgate saftey bar, you see them on the back of semi trailers, 32" max i came in at 28.5. I guess they had a 5 ton or a 929 the day before that came through for safety and it failed due to that. So after all the hoops and traveling around and endless hours on the phone we are legal with plates. It ended up being pretty expensive as they charge on GVWR of 19500 Total with plates tax and fees was almost $750.00 plus the $150.00 in DOT charges. But I am glad its over now.
Thanks to all with advise I know there was a lot of suggestions coming in.

:driver:
And here is a news release from the IIHS admitting that many current underride guards fail to be effective, just as mentioned in an earlier post here, and that they plan to petition the NHTSA to increase standards/requirements and close loopholes that let some trucks, like dump trucks, to be exempt because of their configuration.

IIHS news release

Anyway, I think the post showing an add-on civvy winch/hitch combo is just the ticket, for function and versatility, but it would need to be removable for off-roading and for the stock look.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think dumptrucks don't need them because almost all of them except single rear axle dumps all have their rearmost axle as far back as can go, acting as a prevention to an underride. 30 years in emergency services and I've never heard of an underride of a dump truck.
And as was said, a car isn't going to get very far under an M35. Now an M36.....

emr

The distance must have 2 measurements, from the ground "and" from the axle, it just makes sense, I would bet in a book somewhere in the grasp at DOT it is in there, and like noted above, a Big dump doesnt need one, since they never do have one, must explain the second measurement for an official ruling.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
From everything I have been told, it is another "feel good law". Meaning that it was made to make people think/feel that they are safe, but doesn't really help all that much.

Maybe in a low-speed accident it "might" help, but not for anything over 30mph.

Yes these are both corvettes that are made of plastic and fiberglass, but I doubt there would be much different from a small compact car. You can clearly see in the second picture, where the trailer had one on the back and it didn't help anything.

From what I have read on the DOT and other websites is that the "underride guard" is only needed on the semi trailers, not the actual trucks. Every article I read kept referring to the guard on "semi trailers". If it was required on trucks, then I think a lot of trucks would be in violation of that law, especially dump trucks (which almost all do not have rear bumpers because of the need to dump).

I believe it would only "maybe" apply if you had a lot of space between the rear axle and the back of the truck (like on semi-trailers). Where there would be space for a car to drive way in there. But that is only a guess. I have googled all I can, but I can't find anywhere about the wording of the law about the guards.
Like Buford T. Justice said, "you better duck or you gona be talkin out your azz". :D

Has anybody actually looked at a ICC bar on a trailer? They are a joke. I can't believe anybody thinks this flimsy bar could stop a car. They do make a good step when climbing into the back of the trailer though. That and the dock locks found on most docks these days hook into them.

Last edited:

RangerBob

<snip>
Has anybody actually looked at a ICC bar on a trailer? They are a joke. I can't believe anybody thinks this flimsy bar could stop a car. They do make a good step when climbing into the back of the trailer though. That and the dock locks found on most docks these days hook into them.
According to the IIHS link above (post #13), not all ICC bars are jokes...

Attachments

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
According to the IIHS link above (post #13), not all ICC bars are jokes...
Most of them you see just hang down there with no bracing to the main frame. I assume this flimsy bar is legal because 99% of trailers out there have them.

ODdave

Running up under the rear of a big truck is part of the natural selection process used to cull the terminally stupid from the human herd.

You can't idiot proof everything due to Mother Nature's inherent ability to upgrade the common idiot.:roll:
Like WM said, you will never stop stupid. Just 2 days ago a guy got killed crossing the hwy by my house, He could have crossed under the bridge but decided to go top side.....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks