• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Manual flash on mep 003

Diamondjim11

Guys, just a quick question. When performing the manual flash on my genset( when I fisrt got it running) I noticed the starter tried to engage. It made a very unhappy sound and I stopped.:confused: I thought it was not supposed to run when this was done. Any suggestions?? Thanks
Jim

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a start disconnect switch located just above the oil filter canister toward the rear of the engine. It looks like a funky oval shaped cover with a wing nut holding it on. If your started tried to engage after the set was running that's probably your culprit. I don't have the number right off the top of my head, but that switch is supposed to open at around 900 RPM's I believe.

On a side note, you should not have to manually flash the field except for rare occasions, as any residual magnetism in the iron of the gen head should be enough to get it to start to produce power. That switch can be cleaned and adjusted, but it's a pain in the butt. Another member here did it, and has some details about it, I'll see if I can find it.

DieselBob

There is a diagram of the "Start Control assembly" in TM5-6115-585-24P, Page 136 Figure 43. Haven't had one open so not much help.

You might check and see if some enterprising individual bypassed the assembly.

Last edited:

Diamondjim11

Since the set showed no voltage output at first following the tech man and advice from the guys I thought I would try it. After the set was running, I turned the start switch from run back to start. It made a loud grind as the starter tried to re-engage the flywheel. Perhaps I did not have it running fast enough. Is there a minimum speed it should be at before trying? Remember at this time I still had nothing showing and engine speed perhaps was not high enough yet.
Jim

jbk

i believe its 650 rpm . you can try cleaning the contacts first. get a can of contact cleaner spray the contacts liberally and pass a piece of paper between the contacts a few times. i would try this before adjusting them unless their bent or way out.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
i believe its 650 rpm . you can try cleaning the contacts first. get a can of contact cleaner spray the contacts liberally and pass a piece of paper between the contacts a few times. i would try this before adjusting them unless their bent or way out.

That's good advice, but one step above the piece of paper would be to use a greenback (a plain old dollar bill) The bills are a cotten fiber and not paper and are just abrasive enough to clean the contacts without removing material like sandpaper will

Crash_AF

Yea, that's the correct way to flash the field. I just wanted to make sure you weren't jumping wires or anything... LOL You'd be surprised what I've seen people try to do without reading the TM.

It does sound like the starter disconnect/lockout switch isn't adjusted right or is completely inop. Follow Speddmon's advice and check it out. Test & adjustment procedures are in the -12 TM Section 4-28.

Later,
Joe

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks