• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Manual Glow Plugs have stop working

Strad

I have installed manual glow plugs on my 84 m1009. I had a push button set up runnin off the blue wire that goes into the gp card to ground. Now I don't hear the solenoid clicking when I push the button. I replaced the solenoid with a st-85 and the gp's are the self limiting glow plugs. Still I get nothing. I put ground straight from the blue on the solenoid to ground and still got nothing. I bypassed the solenoid by using a jumper cable and hooking the top of the relay plug to the bottom bottom plug (jumped the red battery cable to the 3 orange ones) still my glow plugs did nothing. I have run out of ideas.

other things to note, I had to have my key forward to be able to heat the gp's when i had the manual set up working.

Do I have to check some fuses? If I have left out some details, please let me know. Thanks again for all the help guys!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
use an ohm meter and test your glow plugs.

ranchhopper

When you set up a manual system the first thing you do is take the card out I dont use the original wires either. Run one wire from one of the small terminals to the power source then run the wire from the remaining small terminal to your push button. Set up this way when you push the button you are providing a ground activating the GPs its simple and always worked for me. You wont have the wait to start light but the click from the solenoid lets you know its working.

Last edited:

Strad

When you set up a manual system the first thing you do is take the card out I dont use the original wires either. Run one wire from one of the small terminals to the power source then run the wire from the remaining small terminal to your push button. Set up this way when you push the button you are providing a ground activating the GPs its simple and always worked for me. You wont have the wait to start light but the click from the solenoid lets you know its working.
So for example, from the small terminals on the solenoid, I run a wire from the positive of the battery to terminal on the solenoid that has the pink/black wire. On the second terminal of the solenoid that has the blue wire, I can hook up a wire going from the terminal, to the push button to ground? By doing this my solenoid should activate? Do I keep the original power cable on the top terminal connected?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For those who read this and get confused. There are a few ways to do the manual control of the GP's.

You can add a manual control (push button) and still have a fully functioning stock GP system.

Strad

Many thanks to ranchhopper! I ran a hot wire to the small terminal on the GP solenoid that has the pink/black wire. This was the fix that I needed. I did keep the ground coming off the blue wire underneath my dash to my push button. Later, I do plan on running a ground wire from the blue terminal on the solenoid to my push button. :mrgreen:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So what was it that stopped working? Bad wire? Loose connection? What?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks