• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

manual hubs not locking

SRB1976

Had a local mechanic install new Warn Premium locking hubs on my M1009 the other day and when I lock the hubs with the truck stationary with all four wheels on the ground. The front driveshaft still spins.:evil: Any idea what he did wrong?

Last edited:

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is the state of the truck and transfer when you spin the driveshaft? Both front tires on or off the ground? One in the air? Transfer in neutral, in 4x4, 2x4? That can help determine what might be going on.

DieselBob

One of the most common errors is that people pack the hub and sliding collar with heavy axle grease then the collar can't slide to lock the stub axle to the hub.

SRB1976

What is the state of the truck and transfer when you spin the driveshaft? Both front tires on or off the ground? One in the air? Transfer in neutral, in 4x4, 2x4? That can help determine what might be going on.
All four wheels on the ground. Transfer case in 2hi. Front hubs locked, driveshaft spins freely. When I engage the transfer case 4 low/hi the driveshaft locks but the axle probably isn't locked.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As odd as it sounds, it is possible that with the truck stationary the splines on the axle and the splines of the hub are not lined up. Depending on how many splines the axle shaft of the 1009 has the axle might have to turn quite a bit to align everything and allow the collar to engage the axle.

Jack up the front end, put the transfer in 4hi and then lock the hubs. Then slowly rotate the wheel and see if the wheel locks together. If not, pulling the hub for investigation is a very simple thing to do.

SRB1976

Update: I think I found the problem. I pulled the caps off to take a look and everything looks finePA200159.jpg

Upon inspection of the caps. Hmmm something doesn't look right. PA200161.jpg

Compared to the old MM cap.PA200160.jpgPA200162.jpg

And a Warn standard cap.PA200163.jpgPA200164.jpg

Looks like Warn might have forgot some parts for the cap?:cookoo: Looks like tomorrow I will have to go back to CARQUEST and see if they will exchange the caps.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, missing parts can do that. What failed in the original hubs to warrant replacement?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You might want to find a new mechanic.

He should have noticed those new hubs were not assembled and functioning.

I'd save your old hubs too, they probably are just fine to reuse.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks