• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Manual trans clutch and flywheel.

Jasonbud

I found out there different types of flywheel and clutch combos that are designed for a replacement for the dual mass GM used in the early nineties
1. I have the supposedly (according to seller) original 1994 6.5 to nv4500 wheel that doesn't seem to have any external weights.
2. So I bought a single mass replacement but could not get the original clutch disk to fit due to spring interface but clears a gas engine clutch disk.
3. Bought another single mass flywheel that cleared the diesel clutch springs perfectly but can use a gas clutch as well.
So now I have 2 spare new flywheels that work but with a "wrong" clutch plate. In all of my research I never heard of that issue.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What are you trying to assemble? Are you putting the 6.5, NV4500 in as a unit? What parts did it come with?

shotty

I have a clutch and flywheel that came of a 93 6.5 with one of those discs that has a second row of springs. It's at home and I am not, but when I get there in a few weeks I'll take a look and see if I can find anything useful. All I remember for sure is that it was a sachs clutch disc.

Jasonbud

I swapped the th400 with the 1994 GM nv4500 last year. Used the Flywheel (#1) I got in the sale. I got more noise and harder shifting than I would have expected. Pulled the motor to replace the motor mounts and flywheel because I was thought it was a flywheel / clutch issue. Put in the new flywheel (#2) and the new clutch disk wouldn't fit but the old one would. I could not find an issue with the old clutch disk so I reinstalled it. Got the same noise and shift feel. I pulled the trans out again to rebuild it and found no major issues. Replaced all bearings and started to study the flywheel in earnest. With the new clutch disk (24 spring) in hand I looked up the corresponding flywheel image and noticed the extra relief cut for the second row springs. Installed that flywheel (#3) and new disk yesterday and just took it for a drive. No lash noise from the trans at idle or lower gears while in low range.

shotty

By lash noise you mean that growl sound in neutral with the engine running? It took a bit for mine to do that after my rebuild. What bellhousing did you use?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks