• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Manual Trans early deuce...?

tamangel

I searched thru all this forums posts (I think!) but wonder if there have been any manual transmission early deuces from the factory or is there a popular swap today..?

What was the reason for these hydramatics in the first place? I mean they started with manuals and then they went back to manuals..Why an auto in the middle?

I realize that this forum deals with stock and restored early deuces so hope I won't be thrown out the door asking....just wondering if anyone has had experiences w/ manuals in these trucks...good/bad/why or whynot/ etc or just a crazy idea?javascript:emoticon(':cookoo:')

Mike

MVtrucker

Since I've seen and heard that the early GMC M-series truck-tractors came with the manual transmission setup, search for one of those.
I have/had a set of M/135/211 manuals. One was about the truck in general and the other covered the auto transmission. If interested in them, I'll go through my boxes of manuals and see if I still have them. joeyounginc@aol.com
My M135 - before & after:

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Swapping in the stick tranny from the CCKW was a popular swap on the old days.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
The army wanted automatic transmissions in cargo trucks even during WWII - and there are photos that document this. The very first trucks were sent to Korea during the war, and there was a defect in those early transmissions, and the trucks got a bad rep, even though the transmission problems were quickly corrected.

The problem with installing a manual transmission in a G-749 is that the low range reduction is achieved in the automatic transmission - no auto tranny, no low range.

The Canadians used these trucks for years - in fact, from 1951 onward their trucks had automatic transmissions - even when the went to a Reo-clone in the 1980s.

Regards,
David

majortom

Over the years i have tried various motor and transmissions in M series GMCs. I tried the CCKW trans and transfer installing the transfer required lots of hacking and slashing, i found it woefully inadequate as the M series was so much heavier and had much more power than the CCKW. I tried a 366 GM truck engine with Clark 5-Speed, this truck rock and rolled on 1120s with the OD trans it would go 75 to 70 MPH all day long even though it had no low range it had enough power to offset the problem. I put a 350 with the same OD 5-Speed Clark in a M215 dump we used that truck on and off-road for 20 years, hauling thousands of loads of gravel, we sold it to the local lumber mill they used it for another 10 years i finally died due to be being hit by a Fiat Allis loader. I put a GM 8.2 V8 Diesel with Allison Automatic in an M135 was really hard to make engine fit due to oil pan shape , but worked really well. By far my favorite wrong engine swap was a 6.2 diesel with 700R4 OD Auto Transmission out of a 4X4 Suburban, the over drive allowed the truck to go 65-70 the transfer-case that was on the 700R4 was used only to drive the GMC transfer-case, in this way i retained a low range, so the truck was more than capable under all conditions we did that truck for a fire department it has a 2000 gallon tanker on it, even full of water its really fast.

ravenwoodlabs

Can you remember the details of what was involved in the 6.2L/700R4 swap? I don't want to do it to the M211 I have now, it is to original, but if I find one that is already hacked up, it sounds like a good solid driver & affordable solution.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Sounds like he simply installed the motor with the trans and Tcase mounted to it in front of the stock Tcase.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
RE: ID transmission in XM211 hybrid

Looks tiny for that space. Got any pics of the truck overall? I'd love to see a slant nose wrecker(crane for Dennis and Kenny).

jeli

RE: XM211/M108 hybrid pic

Slightly off subject but has anyone ever bobbed a 135/211? There's been a few for sale nearby that I wouldn't want to atempt to restore but would make a good bob project.

JasonS

I 'think' that it is a 200 series Clark. It is covered in my 50s to 60s Motors Manual. These manuals are readily available on ebay for $25 or at your local library. A really good manual for anyone who owns any type of vintage truck. It also has sections on timken axles and airpacks. Keep in mind that this Clark transmission is non-synchronized.

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well that sure explains a lot....I guess it is time to learn how to double clutch...
I rebuilt this truck down near the railroad tracks in Oakland inside a chainlink fence.
Managed to get it togeter enough to get it licensed with historical plates in CA,
but my buddy is the one who drove it home for me and then to the CHP to get the vin verified.
All I have ever done is to drive it around the corner and back again for street sweeping.

I need to know what the shift pattern is and how to treat it so I don't end up with a lot of shrapnel.

Any and all pointers are welcome. I take it that you are pretty sure that this is a series 200 clark.
If not then any one else please feel free to chime in one way or the other.
thank you all for any help, it is greatly appreciated.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks