• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

manual transfer switch ideas?

shanekarl

For anyone who has an mep-005a or mep-805a/b what are you using for a manual transfer switch? I am looking for the specific model if you dont mind sharing.

I find lots of generic and others for 30-50 amps but i need a transfer switch to handle around 150amp for the mep-005a.

i am only looking at manual transfer switches at this time.

I have found a https://powerassemblies.com/product/cam-lock-connection-switch/ double throw with cam locks but at almost $3k I am hoping for some cheaper options that are appropriately sized so i can pass the inspection after i install it.

Thanks!

loosegravel

Just a retired mechanic who's having fun!
I would think that going directly to the main panel using an interlock would be the least expensive. I used 4/4 cable with a 60 amp breaker for my set up. I have a smaller generator, so 60 amp was all that I needed. I also installed an LED above the main panel which is wired directly to the main line lugs so I can tell when the main line power is back in service. It takes the guess work out of it. With the interlock you may need to reconfigure some of your existing breakers and move them down on the main panel. The interlock requires one of the top breakers to be used for your generator power in.

Attachments

shanekarl

I would think that going directly to the main panel using an interlock would be the least expensive. I used 4/4 cable with a 60 amp breaker for my set up. I have a smaller generator, so 60 amp was all that I needed. I also installed an LED above the main panel which is wired directly to the main line lugs so I can tell when the main line power is back in service. It takes the guess work out of it. With the interlock you may need to reconfigure some of your existing breakers and move them down on the main panel. The interlock requires one of the top breakers to be used for your generator power in.
I have an interlock now for my small generator but i didn't think you could get a 150amp sub braker but ill check in to that.

loosegravel

Just a retired mechanic who's having fun!
This would be my idea setup but the 200 amp transfer panels have a max of 125amp input from the generator.

I might try something like this, i need to read more about it - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Eaton-Doub...958914&hash=item422b95b7cf:g:BPQAAOSwLF1YAY37
That looks pretty stout! And, I may have jumped in too soon/without the correct experience too. I apologize if I have led you astray. When dealing with electrical power and the potential that comes with it, safety should be #1.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks