• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

manualing turning stuck mep-003 engine

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got a stuck engine on a 003 and have reading the threads on hand turning it. Is there some other way to turn over other than the bolt on the end of the blower. I tried that today and didn't like cranking down on that small of a bolt. I don't want to add to my trouble. I'm going to pull the injectors and add MM Oil for a few days. Thanks

R Racing

I haven't worked on a MPE 003 Yet but was wondering if you could try using a pry bar on the starter fly wheel . or compressed air thru the injector hole ? Good luck !

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, I need to look for an opening around the ring gear to use a pry bar. I'm not too sure about the air trick, never tried it before. I've got a few days to let the oil do it's thing, so I'll figure something out. That bolt on the end just doesn't seem big enough to lean on.

love-horsepower

stuck

take out glow plugs make sure not hydraulic locked w/ fuel or water . then spray lubracoat made by rectorseal it has yet failed to take anythiung loose i have sprayed it on if i can let it soak for a couple of days

PeterD

If you are lucky... (wish everyone was)

Remove glow plugs.
Pour in a small amount of 50/50 mixed ATF and Acetone. Turn engine so the pistons are down if possible.

Lightly screw in the glow plugs to prevent evaporation.

Let sit for a day or two or three.

Remove glow plugs.

Try to pry the crank over a bit. Work it back and forth.

Over the years I've broken free some massively stuck engines successfully. Usually a combination of things work to free them including the Acetone/ATF trick. If the head is off, light tapping on the piston can help too--the shocks help vibrate things loose.

But once it moves a tiny bit, just go back and forth and things should free up.

(instead of ATF/Acetone, you can use Kroil, which is excellent too... Both WD-40 and PB don't work worth a hoot, IMHO, and should not be even tried.)

ichudov

Lots of penetrating oil in cylinders

Let sit for a few days

Then use a pipe wrench on the shaft if you can get to it.

I also would not use the bolt.

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
SUCCESS!! Just got one to turn over. I didn't want to put alot of torque on the 5/8 th bolt on the end of the crank, so I made a plate that fit inside the blower and drilled three holes to match the three studs and nuts that hold the blower on { I think }. I then welded a large nut right in the center of the plate . The plate slips over the three nuts and I bolted it down on the studs. Using a 1 7/16 ths socket, 3/4 drive and alittle bump, it turned right over. I did squirt some oil down the glow plug holes as told to this morning and it worked great. If any of you guys that have a mep-003 look at the blower guard, you will see what I'm trying to say.
As soon my son teachs me how to up load pictures, I will. If anyone is in the same fix just let me know and I can send the tool to you, it really worked great. Thanks for all the suggestions.