• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Map Light

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I won one of these neat NOS map lights on Ebay and plan to mount it on the flat plastic section of my M1028 dash. It will cover the little holes where the "Custom Deluxe" emblem normally is mounted.

My question is, what vehicle were these things originally intended for? What kind of bulb does it require? It is my understanding that it will work with 12 or 24 volt bulbs, so which would be better, and where should I obtain the electrical source in order for the black out switch to disable it?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Mike Gresham

Attachments

jimm1009

12 volt industry standard number 1156 will work more than likely.
Tap off your courtesy light under the dash.
When you turn it on it will power the light that you are installing.
If you want it independently powered there are a couple of places where you can tap into the fuse box. All you need is the tap and about 4 feet of wire.
Put a grommet in the dash where the wire comes out through the hole that you drill or it will short it in a few weeks.
jimm1009

mistaken1

I picked up a couple of these on a local close out. LED, red, AA batteries, magnetic, flashing or steady.

On steady I can stick it to the roof above my head, it projects a strong beam down but unfortunately it send a fair amount of light to the side. Maybe a little green duct tape around the sides will control the light spill but could still be removed if I need to use it for its intended function (safety flare).

I like the sliding cover on that map light you won.

Attachments

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like a Unimog dash light. If so, it turns on when you flip the cover up, turns back off when you slide it down. Neat little lights.

Post a pic when you get it installed! :beer:

Cheers

Attachments

Wildmax

Dash Lights

Well, I won one of these neat NOS map lights on Ebay and plan to mount it on the flat plastic section of my M1028 dash. It will cover the little holes where the "Custom Deluxe" emblem normally is mounted.

My question is, what vehicle were these things originally intended for? What kind of bulb does it require? It is my understanding that it will work with 12 or 24 volt bulbs, so which would be better, and where should I obtain the electrical source in order for the black out switch to disable it?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Mike Gresham
Sharecropper, do you have an extra one of these lights. If so I would like to purchase. Thanks

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wildmax - I purchased two of the Unimog dash lights off Pbay. Used them both on my dash. They work great. I have sent a message to the seller to see if she has any more and will let you know. Here's a photo -

Attachments

Wildmax

Thanks, I really like your application of the light, and was thinking about the same on my M1009. I like the black/green contrast too. By the way, you did a real nice job on the restoratiion. I know you will enjoy the truck. I too started working on small stuff, and now have the "9" almost complety stripped. Body is still on the frame. I removed fenders , grille, bumpers, top, and associated hardware. I am blasting small parts in the cabinet. Think I will blast the undercarriage outside and apply a good coating. I have Dynaspec carc to recoat, and prior to that will coat the entire floor/deck with spray in UPOL Rapter bed liner.. Thanks for helping me with the light.:beer:

Wildmax

Hey guys, and thanks. My 9 does have the under dash light. I just liked the military look of the one on Sharecropper's truck; since mine is also missing the dash emblem. Neat looking pelican light. Would be handy and easy to use.:beer:

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wired them hot from the unswitched port on the fuse panel so they work independently. Inline 10 amp fuse.

unaffiliated

WOW. I didn't know these trucks had an under dash light. Mine works now that it has a bulb in it. I was in the process of removing the assemblies, door jamb switches, cargo light switch and related wiring for a civilian dome light and cargo light from a 79 C10 parts truck I have. Chrome just doesn't fit in on a CUCV so the cargo light will be painted OD green for sure.