• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Marine Injectors? Does this require a different Injection Pump?

MuddWeiser

I just pulled my injectors, and the injection pump planning on having them rebuilt... Then doing some research here on the forums I saw suggestions for turning the IP up 1/6 turn and adding Marine Injectors.

I found out that stock M1009 injectors have a popping pressure of like 1900lb and I assume that is what my stock Stanadyne DB2 Injection Pump flows at.

But apparently adding marine injectors adds a noticable amount of HP which I could use - BUT im thinking the marine injectors "pop" at a higher pressure; whereby the stock DB2 Injection Pump wouldn't be compatible. Simply turning the fuel screw up 1/6 turn only adds more fuel, not more pressure.

So is anybody super savvy on this?

Should I just rebuild my injectors and injection pump to stock specs and steer clear of this? My goal is to make the truck RELIABLE and last another 200,000 miles. I could use some extra horsepower - but not if it means using parts that aren't compatible with each other - even if it does work for a short while...

Alredneck

Banned
Find a good rebuild shop that has a proper flow bench that can set your pump up for what you want out of it. Take the injectors with you ( the old ones can be honed for more flow or use the marine ones) tell the guy what you are trying to get and what powerband your truck works in the most. There are a lot of adjustment inside the pump that can make real affordable power, and having it matched to the injectors you will be using makes for a bullet proof reinstall with out the guess work.

12vctd

A DB2 inj pump is rated to 6700psi. But honestly I would stay away from the marine injectors. Also make sure if you do get marine injectors the body's of them are right for your truck as there is a long and short inj body with fine and coarse threads.

ODdave

ran marine nozzels in my injectors with the screw turned and the timing adjusted (i had a '92 6.5 turbo in my 1028) and it ran GREAT, definatly one of if not the fastest 6.2/6.5's around here.

donalloy1

ok sounds like we can get more out of them. how much more???? pretty peppy already! i suppose i could use a little more off line and middle of band. plan on bigger boat down road for her to pull.8)

MuddWeiser

Hey thanks for the suggestions. I will NOT be adding a turbo (at least for now) -- So maybe I should stay away from the Marine Injectors?

My goal was to make my truck run smooth and sound right --- While it was running smooth anywhere above 5-10mph, it had started to sound like a can of marbles being shaken about irratically at idle, with occasional surge and what sounded like misfires...

Since I pulled the injectors AND the injection pump, I was just wondering if I could maybe somehow get a little more power out of it! the Marine Injectors sounded like a possible solution.

However, I don't want to start "guessing" at possible improvements if it means straying away from my original goal of making the truck reliable and smooth...

Chief_919

If you buy injectors, watch the quality. A huge amount of the injectors on the market now are Chnises, and I can tell you that the quality is crap. You may get lucky and get a good set, you may get some that fail in 5000 miles.

Most of the "marine" injectors on Ebay are just that.

12vctd

Like ODdave said marine injectors are good, but you need a good matched set that are in good shape. A quality rebuild of your own injectors with a slight edm of the existing holes (im trying to find my specs again) will net way more than the marine injectors. But then you would really need a turbo to clean things up. IF your having you pump redone you can have it set up for more fuel, then set and matched to your injectors then when you do turbo, which imo is the biggest bang for your buck, you can turn the pump up and have the power you need. No matter what I suggest a EGT gauge before taking anything from stock.

MuddWeiser

Source for injectors???

Thanks for the heads up on the chinese parts... I had read about that in a few other threads...

Are there any reccomendations for shops which rebuild injectors??? I would do it myself but I don't have a bench to flow test them or test pop pressure.

Looking for a GOOD shop that uses quality BOSCH nozzles...

ODdave

like 12vctd said, MAKE SURE THE SET IS MATCHED/BALANCED, this will give you a smother/ quieter running engine. if yours are re-biult by a reputable shop this will be assured insted of buying a new set from someone you dont know.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks