• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Marmon-Herrington SnoGo

citizensoldier

Looking for any info on these machines? TM manuals, parts, anything. Also looking for 8.25x18" tires, or rims that fit them. A friend here has picked up 3 of them and will be building one good one. They are built on a Ford 1940's 1.5 ton truck with a flathead V8 in front and a International flathead six in the rear . Any help guys?

jasonjc

There is a write up on them in the Feb 2007 Military Vehicles mag. The Yankee Air Museum in Belleville MI is doing a restoration on one.

citizensoldier

I am also looking for manuals and information on the International Harvester IGC U-21 engine. This is the engine that runs the snowbower unit itself. Its a 1940's overhead cam engine... The truck is a Ford with a Marmon-Harrington 4x4 unit and a V8 flathead Ford engine.

citizensoldier

This is what it looks like

If you see one of these or know where any are near and around the State of Michigan send me a PM...I cant wait to here this thing run.. By the way I could have used in this morning!! Happy freeking April to me! :shock: aua

Attachments

odjeeper

Do You Know?

Are you a member of the GLMVPA Yahoo group? The guy from YAF who spearheaded the organization of last years Thunder Over Michigan event for the vehicle guys and reinactors is the guy who is leading the restoration of the SnoGo there. He is also a regular poster at the GLMVPA group.

citizensoldier

RE: Do You Know?

I think most of them were painted OD during the war.. Atleast some of the photos in color are OD, later ones are a toss up, a few yellow, and some red..
ODjeeper? You have a name for the guy? Not a member of the yahoo group yet... or atleast registered. I just found out about that a month ago..

OpieNoTool

Re: This is what it looks like

citizensoldier said:
If you see one of these or know where any are near and around the State of Michigan send me a PM...I cant wait to here this thing run.. By the way I could have used in this morning!! Happy freeking April to me! :shock: aua
Tell me about i have been working 16 hour days trying to keep up with this crap. I believe the snowblower engine for the truck he is going to restore is a budah!

citizensoldier

RE: Re: This is what it looks like

He has both Opie but asked me for info on the International.. Dave has told him where to find the info on the Budah... What do you think of that Oshkosh Opie? That would look good in your collection being a county plow driver and all... Shall I start looking for one for you?
I guess if anyone has info on the Budah motor let me know also???
No model #'s from that one yet.. I am going to sit this one out.. freaking sucky, cold crap... I came home from Floriday why?
Oh yes the wife, house, OD trucks, and 3 cats....Hmmmm

ChrisC

Here is the link to our SNOGO, it is a model LTR
http://yankeeairmuseum.org/restoration/snogo.shtml

I have the original manuals for it, at some point I want to make a set of working copies, I could make you a set as well, is yours a model LTR? You can still contact Klauer mfg, you would be suprised, they still had the original buid sheet for the one we have, and they have copies of the manuals. They still support a lot of the parts too.

If you find someone who makes 8.25 x 18 tires, let me know.

Do your SNOGO's have Defense Plant Corporation tags or War Dept. Tags on them? We know that Ford Bought 4 units for the Willow Run Bomber Plant, We have one, I wonder if yours are the other three.
As for color, from my research, it seems the Defense plant corp vehicles were SNOGO orange and the War Dept ones were OD.

citizensoldier

thanks Chris.. I will get more info from the tags and get back with you. It is very possible that one of these served at the plant.. No luck on the 8.25x18 inch tires.. Let me know if you find some.. A complete manual would help so if you make a copy I will take one... I will tell Joe "the guy that owns them" about contacting Klauer mfg.
How is the resto coming? I read the short but sweet arcticle in MV mag.. Looks like the one you have is in good shape..

ChrisC

We have not yet started the physical restoration of the truck, we have a plan, we have cost estimates, we have started collecting parts.... but mostly we are fund raising right now, we need to raise some money so that once we start, we can get it done and not have it turn into a "hangar queen"

citizensoldier

RICE670 said:
Here is a pic of one I found.It is located about 1.5 hours south of the canadian border in new york.May have come from the local air base in plattsburgh. regards scott
That one looks to be in very good condition! Is that a GMC truck? Or maybe its a smaller Oshkosh? I will show it to Joe..
:)

RICE670

CS- the cowl says FWD. It look good thats for sure.Don't know the details or history.I have a couple more pics of it. Scott

2deuce

The cab on that FWD is an International cab. I'm guessing 1956 or57 because of the back window. The U-21 powerplant is a rare engine I think. I don't know what International family of engines it belongs to. The cab probably was made after 1957 as well but it was on International pickups in 1956 and 57.

pa.rich

Yes that is an I.H. cab that FWD used . I saw a unit excactly like this in Richford ,N.Y. as I was passing through. It looked like a municipal yard on rt. 79.I don't know if it is still in use or not. Getting back to the sno-go: Citzen ,I will keep a lookout at the HCEA mag. I recieve for any engines , parts , etc. for the Marmon and its blower engine .I will look in the past adds for you. Good luck and send some pictures or updates on it. thx.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks