• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Maryland deuce owners

stumps

Gulfway, commercial, $141 with the usual historic restrictions. I don't have the replacement cost set very high.

Allstate wouldn't insure my deuce... Atankersdad, I hope your policy really describes your truck. My broker told me that Allstate won't insure anything above 10,000 GVW.

-Chuck

stumps

my insurance with state farm just doubled from 350 to 650 a year. what are you schmucks paying and with who.
State Farm has decided its personal policy division doesn't know how to rate trucks like deuces, so they will no longer insure deuces as historic in Maryland. When I checked them out last year, they would only do a commercial policy, and it was about $650 per year. Not bad for a personal use commercial policy.

If I ever have my deuce to a point where I think it can withstand the steely eye of the MD inspectors, I will likely switch to State Farm.

-Chuck

stumps

state farm for ~$40/ 6 months
When I talked to your agent, Ian, she told me that although SF would honor your policy for as long as you wanted, they would not write any new historic policies on deuces.

She did say that if you ever let your policy lapse for any reason, SF will not renew it.

Count your blessings, and make sure that you never let it lapse!.

-Chuck

rideni

I am a lucky one with that. they did raise it from 37.55 to 38.50

I checked my full written policy and there is nothing that prevents it from being insured under them, I am lucky that they stand behind there word

stumps

I was quite worried when I talked to her that it would raise a flag and get you dropped. She assured me that they knew exactly what you were insuring, and that you did everything just right... And that they wouldn't drop you just because they changed their mind on historic policies for deuces... unless you let it lapse.

-Chuck

rideni

I'm very happy that they stand behind what they did.
I plan to purchase a M-915 put a camper body on it and set it up to to the deuce on a tag along trailer, they will set up a personal use commercial policy at a very nice rate. Also If I build a 5-ton in to a camper instead not set up for heavy towing they will write me a nice RV policy

Akicita

State Farm commercial policy for privately used Deuce, NO restrictions, registered as a truck = $320-some per 6 month near Philadelphia, PA where insurance is more expensive than out in the boonies.

PawnShopEd

State Farm has decided its personal policy division doesn't know how to rate trucks like deuces, so they will no longer insure deuces as historic in Maryland. When I checked them out last year, they would only do a commercial policy, and it was about $650 per year. Not bad for a personal use commercial policy.

If I ever have my deuce to a point where I think it can withstand the steely eye of the MD inspectors, I will likely switch to State Farm.

-Chuck
My last deuce was one I bought from John, and it was $50 per 6 months state farm md. I just bought a new deuce from Kevin and it's already insured historic with the same rate through state farm. I'm in M.D so dunno why yours is so high try a different agent.

stumps

My last deuce was one I bought from John, and it was $50 per 6 months state farm md. I just bought a new deuce from Kevin and it's already insured historic with the same rate through state farm. I'm in M.D so dunno why yours is so high try a different agent.
I'm insured through Gulfway, so it doesn't much matter to me. Gulfway knows what HMV's are, knows what deuces, and 5T's are, and wants to insure them..., but never the less, the SF agent I tried was the same one that Ian uses, and I referenced Ian's policy, and she told me that SF wouldn't write personal historic policies on deuces anymore. She said the policy changed in January 2009. I live on the other side of MD from Ian, so I tried my local SF agent, and was given the exact same story. My local SF agent said he had written personal historic policies on deuces before, so he knew what they were, but SF changed the policy in January 2009, and wouldn't write them anymore.

The reason SF wanted $650 for 1 year is SF will write a personal commercial policy for deuces. The only restriction is you are insured as an individual, not a business. You get more, so you have to pay more.

Things may have changed since October 2009, which was when I was searching out new insurance.

-Chuck

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
gulfway -$170 - no frills, no everyday driving, liability only
Same. The beauty of GULFWAY is that you don't need to keep your trucks in a locked garage. JMH4X4 is correct...GULFWAY does not allow for everyday driving, but they also don't have any mileage restrictions so it would be fine to drive your truck to a show in another state for example. The other cool thing about GULFWAY is that they will insure most any truck. JC TAYLOR has a garage requirement and they won't insure all models. The benefit to JC TAYLOR, however, is their insurance is much cheaper.

ARMADILLO, great to meet you at ACTIONFIGUREBOB's cookout this past Saturday.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm with SF and have a commercial policy for personal use and its $650 per year.

Akicita

Guys,
Things are getting mixed up here. You're comparing apples and orange. If you want to only show your Deuce in a parade once, or twice a year, a restrictive policy and historic plates may be a good deal. If you want to use your Deuce to actully get some work done, you probably don't want restrictions and you can't have historic plates then.

stumps

Things are getting mixed up here. You're comparing apples and orange.
I think that is understood. The comparison was cheap SF historic policies to Gulfway/Haggarty, etc historic policies.

The SF personal commercial policy behaves the same as you would get for your daily driver pickup truck, only it is on the commercial side of SF... because the deuce is too big for the personal auto side.

Any of you guys that recently got a personal historic policy on your deuce from SF should check to be sure that SF really knows what they are insuring. Because mine is a Kaiser/Jeep M35A2, the agent initially thought it was a CJ, or M38 jeep sized vehicle, and were happy to insure it... but I told them it had 3 axles, and a 13500 lb empty weight, and they then saw, and read the flag on historic military vehicle policies. The flag specifically said they were not allowed to insure deuces on personal historic policies anymore.

That's when I contacted Ian and asked him if he would share his agent's name with me, and if he would check to be doubly sure that his policy was unambiguously for a deuce. He did, and it was. When I called his agent, and told her I wanted to insure the exact same model vehicle that Ian had, she too saw the flag. She went back to SF corporate and asked what was up, and they told her that the policy changed in January of 2009. The reason for the change was SF personal lacked the resources to rate large trucks.... that was the province of SF commercial.

-Chuck