• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Maryland - M1078 Title and Tags

tinryan

I finally managed to get my M1078 that was purchased from GovPlanet way back in February into my yard with SF-97 in hand. I am now trying to at least get the title for it and am running into a few snags.

In mid October I went to Terry's Tag & Title in Westminster and they told me they'd be able to title and tag it for about $800, but the only thing holding me back was the lack of insurance. After three weeks of run-around with State Farm, I finally got insured with Progressive Commercial and took the SF-97 and re-assignment of SF-97 letter in to get it processed by the same Terry's Tag & Title. This time they told me that they cannot take the SF-97 as it is not an actual title and that I'd need to get IronPlanet to send me a title transfer that was in their name. After contacting GovPlanet/IronPlanet they told me that it was possible, but would take several more weeks and cost a decent amount more money.

I have seen recent posts on here about people getting their LMTVs titled and registered in the state of Maryland, I am simply looking for guidance on what to do or where to go from here. Perhaps there are other tag and title places that are a bit more knowledgeable about what to do with a SF-97? I've heard that TNT tags in Thurmont has been helpful to some people, but have not tried them yet.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With historic plates you will barely be able to drive it. Lots of restrictions. Technically, former military vehicles are not allowed on roads in Maryland.
Question about driving them...is there the one time inspection that Md does on cars on these trucks too?? Or since it's a classic tag they won't need the inspection...rules are so different from state to state...I'm just north in Pa and see guys driving 6x a good bit...I will look at one next time and see if they have them tagged!! I know a bunch that have the hmvee that don't have inspections or tags on them and have no idea how they get away with that. One keeps that tag under his seat!!
Rich.

Third From Texas

The problem you mention is a real one.

GP is *NOT* a "dealership" and thus cannot legally do the title re-assignment that the include with the SF97.

Some states (and even some clerks) overlook it.

In Texas, the county clerks all have GP "red flagged" on their list. There is a very specific set of instructions. The first being to tell GP that they are not a dealership and to quit wasting people's time in states that are on to them. Second is to mail your SF97 *back* to GP (certified, of course) to the *one* guy who does the EUC paperwork. He must be instructed to get you a FL title (oh yeah, that's an extra $100 GP doesn't mention until the time comes). Months pass. A FL title with your name *may* arrive. If so, you *now* have legal ownership to the vehicle that you can presented to the state/county/etc.

Attachments

tinryan

With historic plates you will barely be able to drive it. Lots of restrictions. Technically, former military vehicles are not allowed on roads in Maryland.
Very true, but I'll hardly be using the vehicle for anything that's on the road anyway so it's not a real deal breaker to me; and I'd say 2/3rds of the older pickups in my area are daily driven with historic tags and aren't looked at twice by police.

Question about driving them...is there the one time inspection that Md does on cars on these trucks too?? Or since it's a classic tag they won't need the inspection...rules are so different from state to state...I'm just north in Pa and see guys driving 6x a good bit...I will look at one next time and see if they have them tagged!! I know a bunch that have the hmvee that don't have inspections or tags on them and have no idea how they get away with that. One keeps that tag under his seat!!
Rich.
When I was doing the paperwork to get plates in MD I was told I would need to get the standard Maryland State Inspection if I went with regular plates, but there was no Inspection needed with historic plates.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks