• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Maryland MV owners are in trouble

F18hornetM

Did you notice of the spnsors of this bill, 2 are women and all 3 are from princes georges or Montgomery county...fascinating. here again we have people making laws that have no idea what they are talking about.
I am going to email and write all 3, as well as my senator mathias. A very nice and respectful letter of course.
Also interesting no military service between them, one is a lawyer and NONE of them are FROM Maryland!!!!!! and their countys circle DC..go figure

Nancy J. King, Maryland State Senator
Jennie M. Forehand, Maryland State Senator
Victor R. Ramirez, Maryland State Senator

Last edited:

F18hornetM

your soooo right!

I'm going to write a letter to each tomorrow. if any of you guys want a copy, to amend and send, ill be glad to forward to you. And if any of you guys write ahead of me, I would like a copy as well, so we are all on the same page. I am also going to call the numbers listed Monday. I have several friends that will call also, even though they dont own and MV, just don't like rights taken away.
By the appearance of this bill, these people were tasked or was their idea, to make a better law around historic tag use. Problem is, they dont understand the far reaching affects of the new law. maybe we can help them with that.

midcounty

Here is a first draft of what I was thinking of sending to the legislators. Let's also send letters to michael.busch@house.state.md.us who is speaker of the house. I here he is looking to enter the next governors race, so he will not want any bad press from Veterans and other large respected groups.

Dear Sir,
It has come to my attention that there is a bill currently in the Judicial Proceedings Committee that disturbs me, as well as disturbing other likeminded vehicle collectors. It is Senate bill 846, concerning Historic vehicles. The bill proposes changes in the requirements to obtain Historic license plates. It is my understanding that this bill was supposed to prevent people from abusing the Historic registration in Maryland. After reading this bill, I fail to see anything that will affect people abusing the Historic registration. I do however see things that are going to have serious effects on law abiding, upstanding vehicle collectors. They have proposed to extend the required age of the vehicles from twenty to thirty years. This is going to affect a number of honest vehicle collectors who have already purchased, restored, and registered collectable vehicles that are not thirty years old yet. They are also proposing to remove the ‘occasional transportation’ wording. This is even more disturbing, as people who have spent countless hours and money making their cars perfect can not take them out and enjoy driving them from time to time. One of the most disturbing things is the proposal to limit Historic tags to vehicles under a ten thousand pound gross vehicle rating. I do not believe anyone has thought this out completely. By making this restriction, you will be eliminating retired Fire Trucks, retired Military Vehicles, and many other collectable vehicles. By doing this you will be alienating Veterans, Fire Fighters, and a number of business owners who have spent large amounts of money to restore their Historic trucks. Owners of these trucks will not respond well to having to pay eight times, or more, per year for their tags. They will also lose the ability to insure their vehicles with reduced rate classic vehicle insurance, costing very substantial amounts more to meet the Maryland insurance requirements.
I would appreciate it if you would review this bill, and hopefully you will see what many others have seen by reading it. It is not accomplishing any good, and will only result in many disappointed voters. This bill seems to be more of a way to raise money than anything else.
Thank you for your time, and I do hope to hear your thoughts on this subject. I will be following the progress of this bill, and keeping track of who supports it as well as who does not support it. I will be sharing all my findings with all collector car and truck clubs, as well as the VFW’s, American Legions, Fire Houses, and anyone or any group who is concerned or may be concerned with this bill.

midcounty

I welcome anyone to use any of this as they see fit, but please be polite and politically correct. If anyone has any suggestions, this is just a draft that I plan to finish and send off this week. Everyone please spread the word to as many people as you can, and plead with them to write their legislators. In great enough numbers we can squash this before it ever comes to a vote.

storeman

Anyone who buys from GL on a commercial basis, i.e,, for resale, is well aware that MD charges sales tax, even if it is going out of state. Only state I'm aware of that does so.
Jerry :x

Dave911

If you get pulled.over by a DOT cop or HP, you can get a ticket for being 3,000 lbs over weight without having any cargo. They have started doing this already in some areas of NC.

My A3 is tagged for 24,000 lbs.

If you are non commercial, the DOT cops are not suppose to pull you over. Historic vehicles are not commercial!

If they do, tell them you are not a commercial carrier and they should let you go.

Dave911

That's what happens when the state is run by liberal democrats and a vast number of the population are either government workers or the company they work for is a government supplier or contractor. The bigger more intrusive government the better.
It is not just liberal Democrats. I live in a very conservative Republican state (IN) and the state government is constantly trying to nickle and dime me to death.
Farm plates on my '71 semi tractor at 26,000 lbs are about $350 with county wheel tax. Registration for a new Ford Superduty truck would be more than $600 per year. I drive older vehicles because of it.

Fortunately Mil vehicles have special licensing provisions, but the BMV doesn't follow the law and the cops don't know the law either. (I carry a copy of it in the glove box)

DieselBob

I wasn't jumping on them just because of the party. In Maryland it is 3 to 1 Democrat to Republican in voter registration and the Governor is is a Democrat and the Legislature is majority Democrat. If it was reversed I would slam the Republicans if they where doing the same thing to me instead of for me. I am equal opportunity when it comes to tax and spend politicians of any stripe.

steelandcanvas

Actually , ive broken no law, I have 4.5 acres and claim farm status, I was merely illustrating that a friend has these plates with less acreage. If you read carefully you would have gotten it right the first time. Look before you leap sir.
Maybe you should have worded the sentence more clearly, sir, and leave your sarcasm at the door.

roady

Ditto to SS and Midcounty for bringing this to my attention as well.

Thanks for all the draft letters so far. I will put something together and get them sent out.

Nice pictures Midcounty. What Denton parade was that for? I am assuming it was the winter one that daughter was at and said "Daddy there was a Deuce in the parade". I hope to get the soccer team in one of the Denton parades this year.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks