• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Maryland MV owners are in trouble

338lapua09

Well ins't that just special........I can tell you that I did not vote for anyone of those s.o.b's that have put thier name to this....not only wieght but added 5 years to the age....aua

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This wouldn't just be a military vehicle issue.
Apparently this would invlove all trucks over 10,000 gvw.
Should try to get help/backing from groups like the American Truck Historical Society in defeating this.

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
Welcome to the Peoples Republic of MD. I am glad all my deuces are tagged at 9900 lbs. Been doing that for 4 years, so if you got a deuce from me you are safe...I hate this state..

midcounty

Welcome to the Peoples Republic of MD. I am glad all my deuces are tagged at 9900 lbs. Been doing that for 4 years, so if you got a deuce from me you are safe...I hate this state..
But then if you get weighed you are in trouble. This would effectively make it not worth tagging three of my trucks, and cost me more money to tag my M1009s. Where do they get off limiting historics by weight. Just because my trucks are over 10k doesn't mean they aren't a part of history.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
This wouldn't just be a military vehicle issue.
Apparently this would invlove all trucks over 10,000 gvw.
Should try to get help/backing from groups like the American Truck Historical Society in defeating this.

Yupp.

You Maryland guys need to organize, pick a leader who has good people and mgmt. skills and build a coalition of like minded groups (ATHS, MVPA {rofl}, etc.) and either defeat it or get it changed/amended.

B3.3T

Is the American Truck Historical Society involved in fighting this? If not, they should be...

rfischba1

Yep, MD sucks when it comes to regulations and taxes, all MVA costs have doubled in the last 1.5 yrs and now fuel tax going up 20 cents a gallon. O'Malley still has 4 more years.
I need to get out of this taxing state!

Last edited by a moderator:

Whitey

Well, isn't this great. I'm annoyed that someone always feels a need to regulate everything I do. This makes a crappy start to the day. At least it's Friday. aua

-Whitey

Amer-team

If it hasn't gone to hearing yet, you guys need to pack the hearing room. Get some veterans in there, get someone from your state VA office, submit some photos of vehicles in parades with smiling people in them. And turn out as many at the capitol in MV's as possible. That should create an interesting parking situation for them. Of course call your local media, if you have somone that covers you in parades, in a good light. Send a note to the National MVPA office. There are MVPA's that are not on this site.
Hopefully you have someone on the list of sponsor's that is a friend and they put their name on it purely because they didn't know.

We had a similar amendment in WA last year and after talking with a friend, it did not come out of committee. Get on them quick.

big1096

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have sent emails to the heads of the Maryland chapters of the ATHS. This is something that we need to get to fighting, post haste! If these thieves in the legislature think they can make a buck to give to the low rents, we are in for an uphill fight! aua

I also sent email to the MVPA. I am trying to post the info on their bulletin board, but it won't let me in at the moment….

Last edited:

SCRAP

well , you can always farm area tag them. with farm tags you can register it up to 80k with no state inspection. You are supposed to have 3.5 acres for farm status, but this is never checked. A buddy of mine has one acre waterview property and claimed farm status. farm tag means no cdl,dot, or logbook. its the only way to go

steelandcanvas

well , you can always farm area tag them. with farm tags you can register it up to 80k with no state inspection. You are supposed to have 3.5 acres for farm status, but this is never checked. A buddy of mine has one acre waterview property and claimed farm status. farm tag means no cdl,dot, or logbook. its the only way to go
Not a good idea, you won't put your interests in a good light by breaking the law.
Find out who the Bill sponsors are, and contact their office. Find out where the Bill is in the process. Amer-team is right on with showing up in force, but be courteous and respectful of others in the Statehouse, word spreads quickly if folks become un-ruly. Maybe the sponsors didn't think about the impact to the hobby when writing this Bill, let them know what effect it will have on the MV collectors in Maryland. If you don't do something, and you sit on your hands and think someone else will do it, be prepared for losing your Historic plates. It can be done, "city hall" can be beat.

midcounty

Would taking the trucks to Annapolis be a good thing or bad? I would fear too many Jack Holes would see the big scary trucks and say no we don't want those on the roads. I do believe flooding them with pictures of them in parades, and having veterans present are great ideas. I can supply some pictures of my trucks carrying Cub Scouts in parades, which they loved!

big1096

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also if you read further into the bill, they want to remove the occasional transportation clause. This would then would limit your use of ANY historic vehicle to parades and events only. This is going to be a change that is reaches FAR into our hobby, as well as any other historic vehicle hobby.

I am working on letters to send to the State Senators who have introduced this bill. The email addresses are as follows:

Senator Jennie Forehand - jennie.forehand@senate.state.md.us

Senator Nancy King - nancy.king@senate.state.md.us

Senator Victor Ramirez - victor.ramirez@senate.state.md.us

I have sent the emails. I don't know that it will really make much of an impact at this point because I don't live in Montgomery Co. where this was introduced, but we have to start somewhere. Hopefully it won't get out of committee.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks