• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Maryland tags,title,registration

F18hornetM

Get an old M35/M813/M923... good to go, just make sure over 25 years old. Maryland has gotten to be a pain state, don't get me started.. although the 5 tons, you will need CDL for because of the air brakes. M813 doesn't have true air brakes, but is heavy. MVA tagged mine at "0" gvw since it was historic..so you could argue over if a CDL is required or not.

PJDiesel

I figured since its totally NOT for commercial use, no CDL or fancy registration required. I can assure you I wont be getting a Comercial DL to operate this truck.

tow2gunner

When I talked to the commercial licensing department at DMV , they said as long as it is under 26k lbs, regular lic. Even with commercial plates and air brakes

PJDiesel

My ultimate goal is to get it tagged historic AND not need a CDL. Absolute truth is it will NEVER be used to carry anything other than myself and maybe 1 passenger.

F18hornetM

Doesn't matter to the state if it carries anything or not. Its the manufactures GVW they go by. An M35 is under that at 23500 gvw w/w or about 23000 w/o winch. A M813 5 ton has empty weight of about 21000.so its GVW would be about 41,000 gvw including its 10 ton [20,000] on road capacity. However as I mentioned, in Md they mark the weight as N/A on the registration so you could probably get away with no cdl since it has no GVW. A normal DOT inspector wouldn't know where the data plate is anyway. As a side note the weights I posted are from memory so if you need absolute weights I'm sure the search on here would find them. Good luck getting a truck.

Merc1973

Another example:

Current owner of said Deuce in PA I am buying from only as the SF97. So he needs to send that in for a PA title. That PA title can bu used in the MD MVA to get a MD title? Is this correct procedure?

PJDiesel

Another example:

Current owner of said Deuce in PA I am buying from only as the SF97. So he needs to send that in for a PA title. That PA title can bu used in the MD MVA to get a MD title? Is this correct procedure?
This is correct. I questioned the person at the counter at my local MVA, she said "Oh, this is an easy one, we list it as historic, weight 00".

Done deal.

F18hornetM

That's right, just tagged a M931 yesterday and it also says under gvw N/A. Historic vehicles are tagged with no weight as they are not supposed to be used for commercial purposes. Parades, car shows, special events, etc is what the tag is meant for.

Merc1973

I just want to make sure i know what to expect to pay at the MVA.

$51 for historic tags
(proof of Insurance) $134/yr Gulfway insurance
6% of sale price

How much in title transfer fees? $100?

Last edited:

robreom35

i live in pasadena stoney creek near wendys you can see my truck there i have a name and number for a guy in annapolis with over 40 trucks for sale its where i got mine and i can help you

tow2gunner

I was declined by gulf way - they wanted me to have mine in a garage - and asked for pics of garage.. :((

Mine is a 1990 - I have full commercial policy thru State Farm - 460/6mnths and commercial tags ( for 2 more yrs.) Registration was a breeze at the dmv

Another Ahab

Hey Brother(s), everything else aside, WELCOME to you from here in the Old Dominion State of Virginia.

Not a hijack, just a little conversation...

Plumb2good - I see that you're in St. Mary's County. Back in my days on Reserve I used to drill out at Pax River occasionally. Always wondered: what's the story there about the towns of Pasadena, California, and Hollywood? Why all the California names? You got any clue?

Last edited:

F18hornetM

I was declined by gulf way - they wanted me to have mine in a garage - and asked for pics of garage.. :((

Mine is a 1990 - I have full commercial policy thru State Farm - 460/6mnths and commercial tags ( for 2 more yrs.)
Registration was a breeze at the dmv
Did you have any issues getting it inspected?

F18hornetM

Hey Brother(s), everything else aside, WELCOME to you from here in the Old Dominion State of Virginia.

Not a hijack, just a little conversation...

Plumb2good - I see that you're in St. Mary's County. Back in my days on Reserve I used to drill out at Pax River occasionally. Always wondered: what's the story there about the towns of Pasadena, California, and Hollywood? Why all the California names? You got any clue?
Since Maryland is a lot older state than california, I bet Maryland had those town names first. Not sure, just a thought.

bones1

Do I have this right.
A 5 ton older than 25 years is not a problem at all. Historic tags, no inspection and no cdl.
A 5 ton newer than 25 years needs to be inspected and if under 26000GVW no cdl required and tagged and insured commercial.
Does the BMY-Harsco name cause a problem at the dmv?.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks