• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Massey Ferguson 20C 2WD Tractor/loader

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Just got one of these tractors and need to find a manual or any history/military use of it. It runs great but has some steering difficulty.
any help or advice would be helpful, thanks
and yes, I promptly got is stuck.View attachment 891602
Do you see - Or can you find any sort of metal plate on it with more information?
If you can find some sort of tag chances are we can help you find some info.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thanks for the reply, here is a plate and a stamp I found on the tractor.
Hope this helpsView attachment 891635View attachment 891636
I was hoping for a military tag so we might find a Technical Manual.

Seems that maybe this was used by the military?
Was it an auction with big green trucks all around?

Other than that, I found a shop manual on-line for about $70.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very Cool new toy there. We had tractors just like that for landscaping in the 80's and with the bucket we could almost always push our way out of any hole we drove in. Very handy toys. "Bucket Low when you go" was used after we found out they flip easy with a loaded bucket up high. Driving with the bucket in your line of vision was taboo too when my buddy....Steve Ferguson...... no kidding....... drove a bucket straight into the hood of an almost brand new 1986 Ford.

A search for "massey ferguson tractors in military history" will net a few results https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massey_Ferguson

We're still running a Hairy Ferguson all the way from Coventry England in 1948.

Resized_20211017_133319.jpg

I found this page chasing images when I saw a green tractor. We know Massey or Ferguson or Massey Ferguson could have been painted green. Not sure about your model.

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
How do you know it was military equipment?
I don't think the 20C was used by the military. But I know the MF40 was. I had one. It had the data plate on the hood over on the "drivers" side of the tractor. It also was a very odd configuration. Instead of a normal transmission with a clutch, it used the "automatic" from the backhoe setup. Also they didn't have a PTO shaft. It had a odd pedal setup that was like a triton fork. Forward, Reverse, and simply throttle. As I looked into it, it was used to tug vehicles around. Apparently it was a "bailout" of sorts for MF at that time from the DOD. Kinda like they also did with Chrysler too and the K cars.

thtrev2001

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I appreciate all the responses. I got it directly from the DoD from Ft. Riley. It does have a funny set up as far as no clutch, Like Patracy said, it has a lever for forward and reverse. There is no military data plate that I could find. It is painted yellow and looks to be the original color. M1010plowboy, yes, you have to keep that bucket low, ask me how I know.
Thanks again for all the help, wish I could figure out what it was used for and by whom.
BTW, I think its an early 70's model

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks