• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Massey Ferguson 40 tractor

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hoping someone might know something about these tractors. I see there is no pto shaft or lever. But the hydraulic controls are there. The lift arms are not installed, and it feels like it's not connected to the hydraulic cylinder. But I'm clueless if there's a hydraulic pump. If there isn't one, could it even be added? As well as the pto shaft? Not sure how it would work without a clutch?
20220114_172052.jpg20220114_172108.jpg20220114_171907.jpg20220114_171912.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

eric67camino

Steel Soldiers Supporter
1642204724711.png

I think it was similar to the industrial MF 40 loader. If so, I don't believe they had the pto or rear lift. It was just a straight loader Tractor.

The yellow paint and the reverser type pedal on the right would seem to corroborate that theory.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
From the photo with the data plate and the left rear wheel it looks like yellow wasn't the original color. Hard to tell from the photos but perhaps green or gray. Have you contacted MF and asked if they have any data based on the S/N? Some manufacturers keep records for decades.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I went and looked at it this afternoon. I actually own a MF 40 industrial tractor. There's a lot of similarity between them. But the transmission is the big difference. There's a torque converter where the clutch would be. And the peddles are completely different/wrong side.

There's nothing from MF documents out there that cover this one. Wish I knew what the TM was for this one. Maybe I could get a better understanding of the transmission setup.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I think it was similar to the industrial MF 40 loader. If so, I don't believe they had the pto or rear lift. It was just a straight loader Tractor.

The yellow paint and the reverser type pedal on the right would seem to corroborate that theory.
Digging deeper into this, it looks like the loader/backhoe uses this same transmission.

And given the post over there, it looks like it would only work while moving for the 3pt lift.

I'm interested in it for the military aspect of it. But it seems rather limited to just pulling and that's it.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
No I haven't yet. But I did manage to pick it up today. So yet another MV in the fleet.

Headed out with the M1008 with a trailer to pick it up.
20220122_125122.jpg

And stopped by a store for my son along the way. The trip was only about 40 minutes there and 40 back. Uneventful for the most part.
IMG_20220122_141213_140.jpg

That is, until I got home and started to take the trailer back over to @Spot_ll 's. My youngest son spotted this in the cab of my CUCV that I never realized was there.
20220122_170418.jpg

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
So, there's a few issues with it. It's honestly useless. There's no pto shaft or any of the 3pt lift stuff. I started checking on the hydraulic pump and saw there was no output. (It will only pump with the range in neutral and throttle/forward direction applied from the pedal) so I pulled the filter and found most of the screen was gone! Also MF has a bit of dumb when they built this. There's a "bullet" that supports the rear of the hydraulic pump. There's a bolt it rides on that is removable. But there's not enough room to get the pump out due to the bullet being seated inward of the case. The only way to remove the pump is to split the rear end from the transmission. So I bought a few long 7/16 bolts. It split without any real problem. I also have a lead on some 135 parts to put a pto shaft in and lift arms on this one. At least it'll be useful then. I'm going to soak the hydraulic pump in diesel fuel and wash all this gunk out of the transmission with it. Also I replaced the rotten shift boots too.received_1135097610592661.jpgreceived_462931915491353.jpgreceived_4763711363745603.jpgreceived_318089967000421.jpgreceived_309469534530735.jpg

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
So I split the tractor and got the "bullet" out of it along with the pump. Splitting it wasn't that bad at all. Those long bolts worked great. I've put the tractor back together. And today I picked up a 135 to pull all the PTO and 3pt parts off off. Everything came off pretty easy. But there's a needle bearing and a bushing I will just replace with new ones. I think all these parts will interchange. I know the lift arms fit on the top cover. Maybe next weekend I'll have it back together. Thanks to @Spot_ll for loaning the trailer since the other trailer has a backhoe attachment sitting on it. And a gratuitous cucv pic of course...20220205_151647.jpg

Spot_ll

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I split the tractor and got the "bullet" out of it along with the pump. Splitting it wasn't that bad at all. Those long bolts worked great. I've put the tractor back together. And today I picked up a 135 to pull all the PTO and 3pt parts off off. Everything came off pretty easy. But there's a needle bearing and a bushing I will just replace with new ones. I think all these parts will interchange. I know the lift arms fit on the top cover. Maybe next weekend I'll have it back together. Thanks to @Spot_ll for loaning the trailer since the other trailer has a backhoe attachment sitting on it. And a gratuitous cucv pic of course...View attachment 858029

You gonna put the tractor in 383, or leave it yellow? Or did the navy even have it any other color than yellow?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
So I had a few more pics from this. Honing that bushing for the pto gear was a pain. Also the lift arm bolts were rusted from never being used so I used a die on them. Over the weekend I finally got the bush hog hooked up to it that I got from @twright a while back. Ended up rebuilding that pto drive shaft on it. I'll get a pic of it tomorrow. It'll be heading over to Jacksonville to mow the fields at WCKA around all the AM towers.20220209_174932.jpg20220209_174736.jpg20220210_175455.jpg20220210_182257.jpg20220216_145422.jpg

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don’t know how I missed this thread until now, but I own a MF40 tractor. The one I have is a shuttle shift, and I’ve got a 3-point and PTO. This one appears to be a instant-reverse, which doesn’t work well at all with 3-point or PTO. On the instant-reverse tractors it has a torque converter to drive everything. The 3-point and PTO are driven by the torque converter and won’t work well.
Mine has the shuttle and 2 stage clutch, which lets the PTO and 3-point to be driven by the engine until you push in the second stage of the clutch.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks