• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

massive transmission input seal leak

yellowstonebill

I bought a 1987 m998 on line and the transmission pumps fluid out of the dust cover around the fly wheel. It pumped about a quart out every 30-40 seconds.
I pulled the transmission and replaced the input seal? The seal did not look burnt, warn out and was still soft and pliable. After installing the transmission with a new seal I was able to drive the humvee one day driving about 60 miles and everything was fine except it seemed to be a lot noisier than my other humve's. The next morning I started the vehicle to warm up in the 30 degree temperature and warm up and it started pumping fluid out again.
Does anyone have a idea what is going on. Could it be a bad torque converter? Please advise

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Well, try posting in the hmmvw forum, you'll get more folks that know about your vehicle. This is the section related to website issues.

Welcome to the site, the "U.S" isn't acceptable for location, please attend to that error.

Jeepsinker

Your pump bushing is worn out. Pull the trans, take it to a transmission shop, and have them put the bushing in with a new seal and reinstall the pump. Way too easy to crack the pump gears trying to do it yourself if you have little or no experience with it. There are also some more gaskets and sealing rings that they will replace at the same time.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site.

Per the forum rules we do require that your State of residence is a requirement. Please edit your user profile.

dilvoy

You may have a cracked flex plate. The cracks are usually around the area circling the bolts that hold it to the crankshaft leaving the outer portion and the torque converter to move around.