• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Massively out of balance parking break drum M35A2

bassetdeuce

No, but we've had the entire shoes assembly eject itself out the bottom of the truck onto the ground. Dad popped the clutch in 1st or 2nd with the e-brake on. :rolleyes: Unless it was horrendous, I don't see how driveline vibration could break your motor mount rivets, but stranger things have happened.

That pizza looks like Dominoes Brooklyn style. Good stuff. :drool:

Last edited:

militarysteel

sorry to keep nagging after each post, the vibration was ****, it broke the Alcohol tube going to the compressor as well.
that drum spins very fast, the vibration started around 30 mph and was worse and worse by 40 - 45 mph. It appears those e-break drums are balanced, looks like the same way the balance a crankshaft by drilling some in a spot, this one must have been way off,

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
i changed the parking break drum, it was vibrating so bad it broke the rivets that hold the front engine mount to the frame! Has anyone else had this happen?
I've found some (old used ones) out of balance: slightly, but enough to cause important vibration at higher speeds.
So how does your replacement drum do? (... after also removing all that dirt and grease inside the brake guard, obviously...!?)

G.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I haven't had trouble with the drum itself yet, but we did have a member that had loose Tcase mounts. That had the drive line bound up so it sounded like the motor was going to throw a rod at any time.

jimm1009

Along this line I wonder if it is worh getting it 9 the drum ) balanced.

As an aircraft mechanic I had one owner insisting on having his mains and nose wheels balanced ( on a very small aircraft) so we took them to an automotive shop and they balance them for us.
It seems that this could be done on a sued drum too so I would not discard the drum as spares will eventually get harder and harder to find.

Personally, I wonder if the driveshaft was the culprit.
A driveshaft is much more cirtical for balance than the drum (although both are important) due to the length of the shaft.
A shaft with a slip joint is balanced with the two seperate pieces assembled and if they are seperated and not put back together exactly as they came apart, then this can be a really big problem.
All speculation on my part but there could be another culprit hiding in the wood pile. I would examine everything there that rotates anad the mounting points for loose bolts too. But, do it in a warmer environment!
Be a good time to hit everything with a grease gun too. PMCS is a good thing.
jimm1009

militarysteel

oh yes its much better now, there is some vibration that comes back at around 53 mph, but that is more from the stock old tires(i'd imagine) them selves, so as long as i keep it at around 50 mph she is happy, all the drive shafts and t-case are good, i use lucus in the tcase, and transmission that helped with shifting and heat. i also use lucus in the engine oil, seems to get around 1 or 2 mpg better millage. i have disconnected the drive shaft connecting the 2 rear axles, that get a little less traction but seems to drive better down the highway:)