• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Master tool list

USN_Green_Addict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good day All!

Unfortunately I am about 3000+ miles away from my truck. I have been trying to find a master tool list needed for the M44/M35 series trucks. Smallest to largest wrenches/ sockets needed , special tools such as the head bolt wrench, and air pump wrench. I'm not ask for every size but a good range to buy and special tools needed.

Gralmk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi

All special tools are listed in the back of the TM's. As for all the sockets and things we used a General Mechanic Tool Kit, search for that and you will find a list!

USN_Green_Addict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi

All special tools are listed in the back of the TM's. As for all the sockets and things we used a General Mechanic Tool Kit, search for that and you will find a list!

Well thank you for the quick reply. Looks like I need to do more reading in the TM. Any idea what sizes are in that kit? I think the biggest socket must be the axle nut.

ToddJK

A general mechanics tool set 3/8" & 1/2" drive will do 90% of any work you need to do. A basic 3/4" drive tool set will be enough to do the big jobs like the lug nuts.
A basic set of standard wrenches will up to 1" will cover all other bases you can't use a ratchet and socket for.

rustystud

A general mechanics tool set 3/8" & 1/2" drive will do 90% of any work you need to do. A basic 3/4" drive tool set will be enough to do the big jobs like the lug nuts.
A basic set of standard wrenches will up to 1" will cover all other bases you can't use a ratchet and socket for.
I would go up to 1-1/2 " sockets and wrenches. Then a good set of screwdrivers and pliers. If you buy from Harbor Freight go with their "ICON" brand for wrenches and sockets.

For decades I only bought "Snap-On Tools" . Then about a decade before retiring I started buying other cheaper brands. No need to spend top dollar for just a few years of service. I found to my surprise that "Harbor Freight" actually makes some pretty good quality tools. Now I'm talking about their top of line tools, not the "total wrench set for $12.99" garbage. Though I've used them too when I needed to weld or bend a wrench for a one time task. No way would I weld-on or bend a Snap-On wrench ! Considering a simple 5/16" combo wrench costs almost $30.00 off the Snap-On truck !
All this being said, I've set up my M105 trailer as a "repair all" station with tool boxes full of all the tools I would ever need to fix my truck if I was stuck like in Alaska somewhere. Most are from "Harbor Freight" .

ToddJK

I would go up to 1-1/2 " sockets and wrenches. Then a good set of screwdrivers and pliers. If you buy from Harbor Freight go with their "ICON" brand for wrenches and sockets.

For decades I only bought "Snap-On Tools" . Then about a decade before retiring I started buying other cheaper brands. No need to spend top dollar for just a few years of service. I found to my surprise that "Harbor Freight" actually makes some pretty good quality tools. Now I'm talking about their top of line tools, not the "total wrench set for $12.99" garbage. Though I've used them too when I needed to weld or bend a wrench for a one time task. No way would I weld-on or bend a Snap-On wrench ! Considering a simple 5/16" combo wrench costs almost $30.00 off the Snap-On truck !
All this being said, I've set up my M105 trailer as a "repair all" station with tool boxes full of all the tools I would ever need to fix my truck if I was stuck like in Alaska somewhere. Most are from "Harbor Freight" .
At least one benefit of Snap-On, you can utilize their trucks for returning broken tools or buying new ones. I have mostly craftsman tools, which I got when Sears was around. I haven't bought them since, but I think it's Lowes who owns craftsman now if I'm not mistaken.

HDN

That's what I suggest at a minimum.

ToddJK

That's what I suggest at a minimum.
That's a pretty thorough list!

Reactions: HDN
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks