• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Matching Batteries to the Generating System

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm in the process of upgrading my M37 / M42 to the 100 Amp Generating (alternator / rectifier) System. The instructions specify replacing the 45 amp hour batteries with 100 amp hour batteries.

My question is:

Can I use higher rated amp hour batteries or will that just wear out the alternator and regulator system by trying to keep those higher amp hour batteries charged?

I can see this both ways; yes it will / no it won't, so I need some advice from someone that knows what they are doing, instead of me just guessing (especially with a 100 amps of 24 VDC).

Any help or advice will be appreciated. I don't want to "crispy critter" me or the truck. :roll:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As you know, the 100 amp system was developed for the power hungry ratt rigs that fit in the M37. The vehicle's engine would have to run continuously at high idle when the ratt rig was in operation to meet the power demand. The larger batteries allowed somewhat longer battery only operation of the ratt rig. Recharging the two 6TLs after the brief cranking demand will only require the charging system to produce around 40 amps for a few minutes. The 100 amp system is designed to produce 100 amps continuously, so wearing it out is not a possibility.

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, NDT!

So, if I understand you correctly, larger amp hour batteries will not put an undue load on the generating system.

I can get some 150 amp hour batteries that require only a slightly larger battery tray (since I have to build the tray anyway, I can make it any size I want, as long as it fits in the designated space) and that is what I'll do. It will give me a little larger discharging window for my accessories.

Thanks again for your help with this.

BTW, I'll be buying a couple of those rectifier assemblies from you as I get closer to starting this conversion.

Storm 51

dmetalmiki

NDT gave the appropriate answer, and remember also the batteries regulate the charge anyway. Good batteries will not overwork the system.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks