• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

May buy a 86 M1009 tomorrow and need help

M1009 NOOB

First post guys, so Howdy to you all !

Looking at a M1009 tomorrow 1986, actually saw it today and apart from torrn up seats the truck is in amazing shape. The guy selling it said he rebuilt the tranny but that reverse slips or does not work, all forward gears work fine. Wondering what tranny I need to get a hold of to replace that one ? I know it's a TH400 but I have no idea if their is a diff between the tranny in a gas or diesel blazer ? what exactley would I need to get to be a direct swap ?
This will go a long way in deciding if I can afford to make the purchase. Also just to throw it out their , could reverse slipping or out on an otherwise 100% tranny be caused by something easy I can check first ?

Thanks for any one that may be willing to help me here !

Yes I am using search and will continue to look as well !

Regards,
Mike.

mistaken1

When people tell me they have fixed/rebuilt something and it still does not work that makes me believe that they have no clue what they are doing.

I would be concerned about what else this current owner has 'fixed'.

Then again if you can fix things and the price is right go for it.

I think of the poster on here who bought a truck that looked so good until he removed the carpet the previous owner had installed and was looking at the pavement from inside his truck. Not to pick on this guy but to point out inspect THOROUGHLY and trust your own eyes/ears. I want to add the seller of this truck parked it in a muddy lot when the buyer went to actually purchase it (no proof but it is my belief this seller did so on purpose to discourage an inspection of the underside of the truck which would have revealed these flaws).

Attachments

Last edited:

M1009 NOOB

I'm in the San Francisco bay area

Are you close to me ? can you give me some info on the tranny you may have ?

2nd thing this guy did was to remove the 24v starter and replace it with a 12 volt one. He then wired the batteries so that one serves starter and one the rest, so in effect it is now all 12 volt.....does this sound right ? possible ?

Their is no carpet in the vehicle at all, but I know what you are saying !
what I can say is rust is no real issue on this vehicle, what else may be...guess I will try and find out tomorrow.

Thanks for your replies !

jeeplvr247

Be weary of the 12v conversions. People usually don't do them right. I held out for one that still had the original 24v so I would not have to put up with the headache of fixing the mess someone else made.

Feros Ferio

It's the one in San Jo by the fairgrounds. I just finished restoring a 70.5 camaro which by no means makes me an expert but smart enough to know the guy who was selling it (who had it listed for $3k 7 months ago with a REBUILT trans had no CLUE what he was doing.
THe alternator belt was on the wrong rib of the pulley the belts were loose and my mechanic thinks its the front pump is bad since its making a whining sound like it has gear drive. But overall the truck is very rust free and straight has some minor floorboard issues, so we offered him his asking price (which was pretty darn cheap considering what a rebuild for a th400 goes for and the condition of the body) minus the towing bill up to Martinez. We're gonna pull the 400 and since the trans fluid smells burnt may opt for a complete master rebuild..again and def a new torque converter since the guy opted to install his "rebuilt" trans with the old torque converter. I'm a muncie guy but I'm sure I'll be able to find a good auto trans guy in concord/pacheco/mtz. We're just going to get going and the basics, nut and bolt, service, and clean the rig. Once my mustang sells and I free up some discretionary funds then the fun shall ensue! Sorry bud I bought the rig but I think it was fate but glad I got it this time around. Wish us luck.

FF

Last edited:

Feros Ferio

Thanks a lot Firex390. I feel kinda bad for sounding off in this thread but the truck is going to need some love and $. I just need it reliable enough to make it to tahoe and back this season.

M1009 NOOB

Yes that is the one

Yes I noticed everything you mentioned, more of a project than I wanted to say the least...best of luck to you !

Feros Ferio

That's what a $950 truck is gonna be: a project-unless its a chevy C10- then it's just an ugly runner. It's a decent starting point and it'll give me a chance to learn since nothing is too terrible. :grd: