• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Maybe I need a new bed...

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I went to try and knock a little drain hole in the corner of the bed when the water was deepest to drain it, I gave it one whack and two other holes opened up. I think this thing is gonna end up like Swiss Cheese if I clean it up. I kinda figured it anyway. And with the tail all boogered up where it was backed into a tree, I think replacement is gonna be the easiler option. Someone keep reminding me this is fun!aua

Anyway, I'm starting to pull pieces off and get them cleaned up and painted. I'm starting to drill out the splice plates to extend the front bumper. I've got all the bumper parts painted and ready to go. I'm using the Rapco spray cans and some self etching primer from AutoZone. It's kind of a battleship grey/olive drab color, so it's good for a basecoat. Most of the big bolts are OK, but I just plan on replacing the smaller stuff as it just isn't worth cleaning up every bolt and nut. The fenders are pretty nasty, they've already been Bondo'd at least once. I think I'm just going to thow some more on and sand the crap out of them until I can save up my pennies to buy some decent ones. I'm going to have to throw some bleack on first to get rid of the moss and barnacles first. I threw in some pics for you guys, don't laugh too much.

Attachments

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not gona laugh except for the water spouts. Looks like something out of a Bugs Bunny cartoon:-D. I have to replace my M211 bed as well. Something REALLY BIG slid forwad and bowed the front too bad for repair. Solution: buy an A3 bed, take off 211 bed. Take off A2 bed, replace it with A3 bed. Put A2 bed on 211. Gonna be FUN, but not as fun as yours.:jumpin::jumpin: Just got to figure out what to do with a 1300 lb mangled Deuce bed....

eagle4g63

John, you really thinking about getting rid of that bed???? I am in need of a bed for one of my projects.....since it needs shortened I could possibly made due with what you have.

I do have a parts wanted add looking for one.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just got to figure out what to do with a 1300 lb mangled Deuce bed....
Dig a hole about 8 FT deep by about 6x12. Then place the inverted bed over the top so it is slightly below grade and put a plastic liner over it and pour some concrete to seal it up and so it won't leak so much and won't rust further, then cover with dirt. instant root cellar. You can then extend the gate to use as a pull-up door. maybe it will fill up with water and snakes when it rains, maybe not. Depends on how you do it.

For walls, you could first lay a row of cinder blocks along the perimeter of the floor and drill a 3" pier 2-3FT down in both holes of every other block, then brick it up with more of them, and once the height is right so the bed could sit on the top row and you can stand inside if you want, drive in some 10 FT rebar into those holes and pour concrete in them. Then once it is cured set the bed on that rim of bricks and cover the whole bed top with the plastic, and pour some more so it is covered and sealed up well to the rim of the wall. Some might run into the empty holes, but not much - rebar is cheap there too. Do it right and this could all be slightly below grade, and you can cover with dirt and sod etc. For a floor you can always put 6-8" gravel in as a french drain of sorts and lay down some plywood or pavestones or something. The roof being metal you can mount a light or whatever equipment to it.

Blueduce

Looks like you could almost fill up the bed with diesel and run down the road with your fuel cap open. LOL Don't worry holes are a part of life with these trucks. I have an a2c that had a few holes in the front bed wall that the former owner calked and painted over. It's amazing what you'll find with a pressure washer.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's nothing a good welder couldn't fix, I have seen a lot worst.
Yeah, but by the time I buy a good welder and get skilled enough to use it, I could buy a good bed and have it all painted and undercoated, and be drinking a cold beer.

JCKnife

Yeah, but by the time I buy a good welder and get skilled enough to use it, I could buy a good bed and have it all painted and undercoated, and be drinking a cold beer.
I think he meant "a good welder" as a person, not the item.

I've seen worse. That fender is better than mine were and they're both in primer now. Keep after it!

6x6guy

Well there's the, who needs something I have for trade- and work out a plan to get it fixed plan.
I have used this technique several times in areas where my proficiency lacked the proper skills, I think it's now called networking, or how to get something (services ) from my friends and at the same time get rid of something ( old stuff - ie parts and such), at the same time and everybody is happy at the end. 2cents

gungearz

That's nothin' , a couple cheap patch jobs, a hit with the scraper, a little straightening up with a 5lb hammer and a shot of paint will get it back to new again...

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well there's the, who needs something I have for trade- and work out a plan to get it fixed plan.
I have used this technique several times in areas where my proficiency lacked the proper skills, I think it's now called networking, or how to get something (services ) from my friends and at the same time get rid of something ( old stuff - ie parts and such), at the same time and everybody is happy at the end. 2cents
I should just buy a house on the same block as Gimpy, then all my MV problems would be solved. :gimp: ;-)

I've been trying to use the "Win the Powerball lotto then I could just pay somebody else to do everything except drink beer" technique, but I ain't quite figured out that method yet.

Got the beer part down tho'. :beer:

shadowrwolf

you have a welder alredy jumper cables off the batterys and welding rod...

and you dont have to be a good welder to fill holes just need a good angle grinder

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
you have a welder alredy jumper cables off the batterys and welding rod...

and you dont have to be a good welder to fill holes just need a good angle grinder
You just don't get it. Those things both require two hands. If I'm using a spray paint can, I can still hold my beer with the other hand! :D

Ridgerunner

I think he meant "a good welder" as a person, not the item.
Not trying to come off as nit-picking, just trying to help.

WELDER= a machine used to produce a weld.

WELDOR= one who operates said machine, to lay down the weld.

I hate rust. I'd opt to replace the bed with a good one. Their cheap and available, with all the bobbers ditching them for a m105 box. Shouldn't be hard to get a good one.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not trying to come off as nit-picking, just trying to help.

WELDER= a machine used to produce a weld.

WELDOR= one who operates said machine, to lay down the weld.

I hate rust. I'd opt to replace the bed with a good one. Their cheap and available, with all the bobbers ditching them for a m105 box. Shouldn't be hard to get a good one.
Actually, I probably wouldn't be that bad at welding, I just have too many other projects. A new bed wouldn't take but a couple of hours to put on. I'm not a fan of body work, I'm too picky. You should see how long it takes me to get drywall work done. I'm already working on part of the plan to replace the bed. the biggest thing is trying to find one close.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks