• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Me 004a transformer went out, then had other troubles.

dlocklear41

My Gen Mep-004a had been running fine for years then one day a puff of smoke out the back. Found out the stator box was bad as the transformer had fried. After replacement of the box, I could not get the hertz and volts needle to rise on the restart after the repair. I got someone to try it on theirs and it worked fine. Put it back in mine but still no hertz nor volts. I'm new to this, can anyone give me suggestions on what might be wrong?

Last edited:

dlocklear41

I was instructed to use a 9 volt battery on a f1 wire. The two meters jumped when I touched the f1 to the positive side and the other to the neg. Is that flashing the field?

R Racing

Nope there is a easier way :) . once the engine is running and you have set the throttle up to near proper speed. Turn the starter switch on again for about 3-5 seconds. The starter will not Engage !! it will only flash the field and you should see voltage and frequency.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you measured the output of the generator terminals or the convenience outlet to check voltage and frequency?

dlocklear41

I didn't hear anything unusual. Even the other person didn't and he works a lot on various equipment. Someone mentioned diodes. Is this something that might go out with the transformer?

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can you tell us more about what the generator was doing when the magic smoke came out? Was it idling or was it up to speed? Was it connected to a load and making current?

dlocklear41

I started as usual and noticed the two gauges did not come online. I reved the engine to approximate speed and tried to re-excite. Nothing. I went into the house swapped overrelays. Went back to generator and loaded the generator with load. The needles came up but dropped back out. I re-excite and again needles came up and then dropped. That is when I seen the puff of smoke out the back. I quickly shut it down.
I opened the right side and found the exciter box took it out. There I found the stut on the side. Opened it up and the transformer fried. Replaced the exciter box out at Delks. It did not work. Tried in another generator and it did. Back in mine as still will not move needles. After exciting and getting no results, I was told to use a nine volt battery and the gauges did work. Called back William at Delks and he said diodes. I pulled out materials but I don't have expertise to pull diodes from there. Wondering if something else I could check before tackling diodes?

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Its on the end of the rotor. Letting them idle is a killer for the voltage regulator circuits. You should fire them directly to operating RPM. No idling.

Sephirothq

are you talking about the diodes on the Voltage regulator board? They can get corroded and the potting material is difficult to remove. The best thing I have found is to use a heat gun to get it soft and scrap it off. then soldier in new diodes.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks