Mechanical fuel pump replacement

Steel Soldiers is supported by:

kdaniels

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I knew that. I just seen schematics of HMMWV engines in another post on this thread.
Well I tried to fire her up this morning and it was a no go. New pump and filter with no leaks at either. Unplugged the IP and primed both pump and filter. I did notice a big difference in the volume of fuel the new pump is moving compared to the old one.

Filled a small water bottle about 3/4 full priming filter but I still notice I had some air in the clear drain line, or so it appears. Got the batteries on charge to try again this evening. This is the first time in 15 yrs this truck has had any starting issues that weren’t dead battery related. 100% stock truck except a in dash radio.

For something to kill the engine on acceleration like you turned off the key has me puzzled now that the fuel pump is out of the equation.

chevymike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you cracked any of the lines at the injectors and see if you are getting any fuel to them? Could be the injector pump is bad or something related to the injector pump.

kdaniels

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you cracked any of the lines at the injectors and see if you are getting any fuel to them? Could be the injector pump is bad or something related to the injector pump.
Weather has killed outside for the day BUT....1st thing in the morning I’ll do just that. I’ve been reading some other threads about the IP so I can get an idea about what that project entails. See if it’s within my skill set. I’m more of a “ parts changer” with some mechanical abilities. THANKS

Semper Fi
keith

kdaniels

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With that kinda inspiration how can I fail. 🤔🤔🤔🤔👍. Oh and thanks for the info on the correct fuel pump.
I think it was original to the vehicle. THANKS again!

Semper Fi
keith
Reading some other threads you and others have committed on it dawned on me that on a Kubota I had a few years ago it quit running cold turkey under full power mowing because the fuel solenoid crapped out. It’s got a distinct “click” when it engages and disengages. Very much like this event with my M1009. Would this also cause a stoppage on this vehicle ..under power...???

Semper Fi
keith

dpaulus

The rod can only go in the hole. If you push it up with grease on it and it stays you got it in the hole. I use Permatex The Right Stuff. There is nothing in the fuel pump area that is critical tolerance. It is just an old diaphragm pump. And as long as the area is clean and not gouged the sealer will seal. Thank you for sharing. I was assuming you were working on a CUCV. This is the CUCV forum. No problem I have replaced 2 engines in HMMWV also. Same basic set up. I put 2 HMMWV 6.2 engine long blocks in CUCV's also. Good Luck. Be Safe and Take Care.
Is the correct fuel pump the AC Delco 43254, and is Permatex an acceptable substitute for the gasket between the block and the mounting plate? If not, do you happen to know the part number for that gasket? Thanks!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks