• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Medium Tow bar attachment questions ??

Elohim1

I did a search and have not seen any pics on attaching the chain type connectors to the rockwells.

I have the bar and chain connectors.

I am planning on towing a M715 with rockwell axles. I am using a 2013 3/4 ton dodge Cummins.

The M715 has a NP205 twin sticked transfer case. So I can put Front and back in Neutral.
I have some hubs for the front where I turned the spline out for driving on the road which keeps my running gears from moving when I drive.

1) Will I still need to pull my rear drive shaft when towing ?

2) Does the chain wrap around the top of the axle with the eye forward? This would put the nut on the bottom.

3) Is it best to have tow bar level? or as low? or high? as you can get it on the tow rig ?

I think I can get the chains between the shock mounts I welded on and the springs, The tie down shackles may have to come off . I used these for attaching to a trailer I sold. Do you think they have to come off for the chain mounts to sit properly?

m715mike

Here is the picture you linked to...

2quqftl.jpg

I'm subscribed. I recently acquired some axel clamp towbar connectors and have not yet researched how to use them correctly.

Jeepsinker

You will have to remove the passenger side shackle point that you welded on there. Nuts face down toward the ground, eye forward. It is ok if the chain hangs while in transit. Put the driver side clamp inboard of the spring, then remove the shackle/ tow point thing on the other side and put the other clamp there.
Best to have the towbar as level as possible, but not that important when towing only an m715.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Greetings Chris. I think there is some area of flexibility here. I have always installed mine with the nut pointing up and the chain wrapped under. I don't think it will make too much difference functionally. If it were my truck, I would remove both tie downs so that the clamps would be in the same location. I think both ways would work but putting one inside the springs and one out would make the truck track offset from the towing vehicle.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Chris I have some deuce bumper shackle horns if want. You could weld them in place of the shackles on your axle or bolt them to your bumper. Just a thought. Hope you and Fred are doing well.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Putting the clamps in different spots won't even make for a noticeable difference in track. I do it all the time when I lift tow 5 tons and deuces.
I'm not trying to be contrary but if you put once clamp on the inside and one on the outside, you have effectively moved the towbar 8" off center. I'm not saying it won't work but even Ray Charles would notice that in the mirror.

Elohim1

Lets see some more pics of that m715. The undercarriage shot makes it look like beast and very well built.

Here are pics of it apart and a pic of whats in the upper carriage. Will dig out some undercarriage pics later.

Thanks to Kenny , and all who responded. Very good information as usual !
Decided to remove D-rings and secure there.

Chris,

Thanks for the offer, will consider what you suggested. Just trying to get it ready for a show they are having where I work. I typically drive it where I am going. I have had the tow bar for a while and decided to go that route for various reasons.

Fred is doing very well.

3dAngus

Not sure of the M715, but on many of these smaller vehicles, always check around the axles for brake lines hidden behind, as the chains will cut them in half when going down the road. The tech manual says to remove the clips holding the brake lines to the axle, and slide the chains inside, between the brake line and the axle. This little memo might help someone who does an emergency tow in the night without light.

Medium towbar manual with pics of axle chain attachments;

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/upload/misc/TM9-4910-593-12P.pdf

Last edited:

SLOrazorsedge

Elohim1, your M715 build is NICE! My son and I bought a 1967 M715 two years ago which is what got us addicted to the green machines, now 6 various M939's and 8 trailers later, the M715 is still in pieces. I'd love to talk with you and have additional photos of your build. We have duece axles and a Keith Black Chevy 383 stroker to stuff in ours. Could use some technical advice. My email is SLOrazorsedge@aol.com. Thanks brother.

Elohim1

Finally Towed the truck today at 55mph. Did just fine. Man that bar is heavy. May just leave it on there until i need to take off. Here are pics.

SLOrazorsedge

Chris, nice photos of the towbar chain clamp connection. Just as an FYI, we learned the hard way not to use the combination pintel/ball hitch trailer hitch. There is way too much slop on the connection and you'll get a lot of "slamming" while braking as the towbar rides up within the connection. We went to a 20K# rated dedicated military style pintel hitch that bolts to the receiver hitch. No more slamming on braking and far more secure. Those combo units are a compromise between a pintel and ball hitch we've discovered. Moved ours to our tractor to move the MV stuff around the yard. Works well for that. Have a nice weekend brother.

KsM715

Last edited:

Elohim1

If it were mine, Id fab up some shackle mounts in the front bumper that would accept the feet that the deuce uses. Would make it much easier to install and remove, and give it a better operating angle. IIRC the axle clamps were meant for lift towing with a wrecker.

*Edit* The nut goes on top according to the TM http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...ng-Misc-TM-s&p=1532696&viewfull=1#post1532696
The clamps will not fit between the shock mounts I welded on, unless they are flipped as I have them.

Will get some more pics soon.

Thanks for everyone's help.

quickfarms

Chris, nice photos of the towbar chain clamp connection. Just as an FYI, we learned the hard way not to use the combination pintel/ball hitch trailer hitch. There is way too much slop on the connection and you'll get a lot of "slamming" while braking as the towbar rides up within the connection. We went to a 20K# rated dedicated military style pintel hitch that bolts to the receiver hitch. No more slamming on braking and far more secure. Those combo units are a compromise between a pintel and ball hitch we've discovered. Moved ours to our tractor to move the MV stuff around the yard. Works well for that. Have a nice weekend brother.
I have never had a problem with my combo mount.

Yours appears to have a lot of extra room and I have never seen one like it before.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410064924.490515.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks