• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Medium towbar adapters?

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Are the CUCV and the Deuce adapters the same?, I bought a set to recover my 109A3's, and M35A2's, and just for the heck of it I tried them on my 1008, and they fit perfectly, now I'm concerned that they are not the right ones for the Deuce.

Do I have the right ones?

Thanks!

jeli

Are the external dimensions the same between 1" pin adapters and 3/4" pin adapters for hummers? I have access to 1" drills I just don't want to weaken an adapter by doing it.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think so. IIRC the 3/4" pieces are a completely different casting. You could always use them with 3/4" pins and bush the shackle mount down to fit the 3/4" pins. Heck, the telescoping section of the bar uses 3/4" pins for length adjustment so they must be strong enough.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't need to drill out 3/4 adapters. Just put a 3/4 to 1 inch bushing in the 1 inch shackle hole, and use a 3/4 pin. Farm store should have a bushing.

Now I haven't actually tried this. Should work as long as the width and depth of the opening on a 3/4 adapter is the same as the width of a 1 inch adapter.(pretty sure they are, if someone knows, chime in)

goldneagle

Is anyone interested in trading or buying SUPER heavy duty tow bars? Mine use 1 1/2" pins.. THey come with one pair of adapters...I will have pictures if requested.

jwaller

FMJ said:
Mine came from jwaller via Austin's lol

Thanks again John!
ya. I had bought about 12 things from him for my towbar setup and it was quicker and easier just to have him send you the adapters. I felt that if I had included them with your bar they might have gone missing between you and me.

oilcan

Stretch44875 said:
Don't need to drill out 3/4 adapters. Just put a 3/4 to 1 inch bushing in the 1 inch shackle hole, and use a 3/4 pin. Farm store should have a bushing.

Now I haven't actually tried this. Should work as long as the width and depth of the opening on a 3/4 adapter is the same as the width of a 1 inch adapter.(pretty sure they are, if someone knows, chime in)

I looked into doing this with my 3/4" set to work with 715 adapters (1" holes), but there just isn't enough depth. The bushing would've been severely offset and I'd still have to machine one piece or the other to keep them from rubbing together. So I just bit the bullet and got the right 1" ends.

IronPig

I just bought my first deuce a few days ago and immediately realized I must have more. Several more.

I've been told it's best to be prepared to tow a deuce home from GL just in case it's not driveable. Assuming a poor run condition is the only problem and a tow bar will get the next deuce home, what specifically am I looking for, what's a fair price to pay for one and where can such a tow bar be found? (saw beltfed on ebay, anyone else?)

From this thread it appears I'm looking for a medium duty tow bar with 1" pins and the feet to go with it. Is this correct?

TIA

rdixiemiller

I sold a medium towbar with a set of 1" adapters the other day for $275. It was a nearly new one, with the MWO collars. FreightTrain bought it face to face. Shipping would be high, it weighs around 140# plus the weight of the adapters, probably another 12# or so.