• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Medium Towbar identification & Q's

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
ok, apologies in advance. I know this has probably been covered at some point, but I got crosseyed reading all the towbar threads for the last 4 hours.

So I am making the problem worse with another thread!

Saturday I am going to buy a medium towbar, with feet and probably a set of axle clamps as well.

Several questions:

I need to know how to positively identify a medium towbar…………. Will it have a part # cast/stamped onto it, or am I at the mercy of a sticker that might not be present/readable? How about diameters…is that a foolproof way to identify? Measurements?

What if all the seller has is bars without the MWO collars welded on? Should I pass? How important are they?

Which feet do I need? I want to be able to pull Deuces, 5 tons (not with my Deuce obviously), CUCV's, M151's, Jeeps, etc. I think I need the 3/4" and the 1", correct? In the end, I want to be able to drag anything home.

Is there only size of axle clamps (with the chains)? If not, which size would I need?

Lastly, if the seller does not have all the pins, are replacement military models available anywhere? Austin Aviation says there is a pin shortage on his eBay auctions. If mil-spec pins aren't available, are the farm implement type pins at tractor Supply sufficiently strong? Safety is more important than correctness here.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

C

Floyd

RE: Medium Towbar identification & Q

Clinto: Make sure you have all the pins, they are a PITA to locate. I guess you can use heavy bolts if it doesn't have them. 3/4" for the shackle brackets on the 151

Floyd

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

The overall length of the short bar of my medium is about 49". Outer tube diameter is about 2.9". There isa smaller bar and mangus has one if you want details. I would not pass up a bar without the MWO. You could easily add that at a later date. As far as axle clamps there are 2 that I know of. One with a single chain and one with a double row chain. Obviously the double chain ones are stronger. If you want to tow anything youwill need adapters with 3/4" pins and 1" pins as well as M715 adapters and M880 adapters. You can skirt the 3/4" adapters by buying a set of 3/4" pins and coming up with bushings for the 1" adapters. I doubt that you find any significant numbers stamped into the towbar. If I found even a small towbar for $200 I'd buy it.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!

Clinto, I have pics I can email tonight if you need. The "correct" pins are hard to find, but you can get the correct size pins from tractor supply. DO NOT USE BOLTS! They screw up the pin holes. 1" to 1" crows feet is what you need for pulling a deuce. The axle clamps are nice, but not needed for most M.V.s.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

The overall length of the short bar of my medium is about 49"
The bar that pins to the other that has the lunette on it, right? Just wanna make sure we are on the same page.

Gimpy, pics would be awesome. Mucho thanks.

Ok, Deuce is 1", that must mean CUCV is 3/4"?

I think I can live without M880 and M715 adapters, those are uncommon vehicles I do not encounter much.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Mwalker, there is actually2 versions of the medium towbar. If the pins opposite the lunette(sp?) are 1" it is still considered a medium towbar.

sermis

I have a set of chain strapes for $120.00 shipped. From time to time I can find the pins. 3/4 pins are harder to find than 1" for me. I have some 1" X 3/4" feet and some ?? 1 1/4 X ( 3/4 and 1") on other end.

jatonka

Try this for ID on tow bars: You can carry easily=Light tow bar. You can't carry alone very far=Medium tow bar. You wouldn't even think about carrying alone=Heavy towbar JT out.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
i made some of my pins for me tb, thay look military, my tb does not have the mwo and handled the xm977 just fine, even a multi point turn around which included backing the 977 up a faily steep slope next to the road

mangus580

jatonka said:
Try this for ID on tow bars: You can carry easily=Light tow bar. You can't carry alone very far=Medium tow bar. You wouldn't even think about carrying alone=Heavy towbar JT out.
Saying it this way, means mine is a Light. But I thought the light didnt use 1" pins for the feet, or extend? (I could be smoking crack)

citizensoldier

mangus580 said:
jatonka said:
Saying it this way, means mine is a Light. But I thought the light didnt use 1" pins for the feet, or extend? (I could be smoking crack)
Bad way to figure it.. Not everyone has your super power strength mangus.. You probably can carry a big tow bar like nothing. :D :D lol :roll:
I hope your not smoking crack.. We cant have our leader in re-hab...
Uh oh.. would this be a Aceism?