• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Medium towbars one fat

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow! It hurts my back just looking at the pics!

jasonjc

The PS artice that has all the stuff for theM543 wreaker lists the 4910-735-6056 tow bar as light duty. But that tow bar is rated for 42,000lbs????????? That seems like more than light duty.

jh1990

Hey guys,
My dad and I where trying to figure out if it would be possible to make our own tb? I've pretty sure I can do it in my metal shop class. Looking over the previous post made I have come up with some qeustions for ya'll...1) what size steel pipe stock would the mil spec tb's be? What's the MWO I hear Kenny talking about? Finally, does the tb need to be adjustable? Thanks guy for the help.

rdixiemiller

The towbar can be made in shop class. The hardest thing would be the lunette ring, and that could be machined out of a piece of really heavy wall pipe, or a piece of 1 1/2" plate. I would make it fixed for bumper towing a deuce, I would guess the only reason to extend it would be to use axle clamps. The MWO sleeves are to re-inforce the weld joints, people have been welding sleeves or cuffs on pipe work for years. You could also just buy a bolt on lunette, then have a towbar that you could swap the lunette eye off for a 2 5/16" ball mount to use behind a truck with no pintle hitch.
I would use 2"x3/8" wall tubing. Part of the bend resistance of the standard towbar is due to the combined thickness of both sections when telescoped into each other.
Make sure you trust your welds!

jh1990

Thanks for the info. My welding isn't really bad it's been classified as over-kill through. My dad and I want to use a 12K lbs bolt on rigid lunette eye and bolt it to a plate that has a peice of plate stock welded to the back with the legs coming off it. OR. We use a lunette eye that would slide into a standard 2" trailer reciever with a the one leg being rigidly mounted to the reciever while the other pivets on the reciever. If any of that make sense then good, but if not let me know and I'll PM you and see if I can explain it better. Thanks again.

Since the manual pictured above (TM9-4910-593-12&P) states it is for "motor vehicles, wheeled" there may be light, medium and heavy bars for trucks and another set of light, medium, and heavy bars for tracks. The Medium bar in an M88 tracked recovery vehicle manual would probably refer to specifically track vehicle recovery, where a medium bar in an 5Ton wrecker manual would have a different number, since it is for wheeled vehicles which are presumably lighter.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
good thought's there bigbee!

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I noticed that in the tech manuals here on SS is, MWO 9-4910-59320-1. I incorrectly identified my tow bar as NSN 4910-735-6056 in an earlier post. My towbar is NSN 4910-00-433-7094, which this mwo pertains to( also the mwo parts that Kenny mentioned are covered in this). Also I do not see in the MWO any use of the terms "Medium or Light" to describe the tow bar!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another question pops up.
Received these adapters from Kevin today. (Thank you for fast service! Money order is in the mail.)

The universal end fits the M35 (1" pin) and the M37 (3/4" pin), BUT what does the other end fit? It requires a 1-7/8" gap to handle it and with a 1-1/8" pin.
The towbar story isn't going to end for a while, is it? aua

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've seen that type of adapter but not with the 1 1/8" pin. Still useable though, bush the adapter down and machine the base down a bit to fit the towbar.

M1075

Bjorn-

I think those adapters you have are for the older medium towbars. I can't see how you can use them with the large towbar since the ends of the towbar are different (male vs. female?). Does that make since?

This page is from the towbar manual here on the site. It is a "medium" (up to 42,000#)

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kenny, thought about that, but if I were to machine them down, I'd find the right towbar the next day. :)

James, I have two different "medium" towbars and these adapters don't fit either one. You are right about the large having a male/female issue. Are there adapters for the adapters?

For the want of one good towbar, I now have parts for four different ones.

jasonjc

You are right about the right showing up Bjorn. I did some digging yesterday and came up with 6 different NSN's for tow bars.
I plan to keep looking and get more facts for all these and see if I can make a list/guide for tow bars some day.

ida34

My tow bar has the "universal" end like the one above. I have not checked to see what the diameter of the bar attachment pins are but I think they are 1". I got a couple modern tow bar ends and found they were made for attachment to something over 1 inch in diameter. For now I will just have to use my old dual end adapters.