• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

melted wires

rottiedog

Truck has been working great. My daughter got her license. I sent her out on her first solo in the truck. I get a call in a few minutes saying that the truck was dead. No light, no anything. I obviously don't believe her. When I get there in the Deuce and check it out, it is dead!! Tow it home and start checking. Juice at the battery. Juice at the fuse box.

Look under the dash and smell burnt plastic. Found two melted splices. I did a quick repair and try it out. turning over but now start and wires under dash are getting HOT.
Not all the wires. Just the ones I repaired and a couple of others that I didn't touch.

Got tired and quit for the night. Lots of wiring fun for the weekend.....

Attachments

rottiedog

fixed

Ended up being the red wire on the alternator that started it all. It shorted to the dipstick. Melted the wires all the way back to the ammeter.

Ran all new wires last night and it fired right up. It seems ok. I checked the ohms on the ballast resistor and it seems off but the thing is running anyway.

I think an HEI setup is next on the list to get rid of some of the old problems. Might as well improve when it's time to replace....