• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEMBER DOWN, Washington, PA

gunboy1656

I woke up this morning to a PM, I am not familiar with the 931 myself so I will post it for the audience. I do have a cell number but don't want to post it in the open. The Message is....

Zeisshensodt...

Hey, I'm currently in the middle of a m931 recovery from the indiana GL lot and I ran into some issues with my truck that have currently left it inoperable. To go into a little more detail, the volt gauge started to read low while headed down the interstate, so i pulled off an exit where the truck stalled in a parking lot due to the dying batteries. I dont have any way of charging each battery singly and I was unable to find anyone that could do a 24 volt jump. It's possible the alternator was disconnected, as there are two unconnected wires inside the battery box, but I assumed those wires were used for a military radar unit that was left on the truck, so i didn't fiddle with them. It's important to note that a small cloud of electrical smoke appeared from under the dash (under the steering wheel) shortly after stopping. If you're able to provide any help, be it suggestions or perhaps a jump i'd appreciate it. I'll try to get back on here tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:

joshs1ofakindxj

He sent me a message too. Unfamiliar as well. I can go help with my deuce and tools after work though so I left him a message on his cell.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is a simple task to jump the 24v truck with two batteries and any truck service company should be able to help. In warm weather it will start easily with two instead of four.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
"Truck will not start, but has keys. Operational condition unknown." Straight from the GL listing.
I wonder what he did to get it drivable.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any idea how far he needs to go to get home?

His location says SW Pa, Washington is in SW PA.

Perhaps a short tow is in order, or just a ride home to get one of his other trucks?

chux72vette

I got the PM also and am gonna call him in just a minute. I might be able to go to him as I have 2 charged batteries but not sure about the smoke issue. Josh, am glad you responded on here as was gonna call you. I have to be up in Butler today for docs appt. Does anyone have any idea what may have smoked under the steering wheel on the M931??? I'm not familiar at all what might be there. Am searching now for the TM. Let me know.

chux72vette

Any idea how far he needs to go to get home?

His location says SW Pa, Washington is in SW PA.

Perhaps a short tow is in order, or just a ride home to get one of his other trucks?
Doghead, his location on his profile says Bar Harbor, Maine. So I'm thinking he has a long way to go.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
In my experience electrical smoke issues never get better on their own accord. Jump starting/charging the batts could possibly get ya going for awhile but I kinda doubt it.

I'd be more worried about finding the problem under the dash. In fact, I'd disconnect the batts and have the rascal towed/hauled home and then start investigating.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
PB, If he came past my place he could have stopped and dropped it there.

Last edited:

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Screw in the fuel cut-off override and jump the starter solenoid at the starter to start the engine if necessary. Leave the battery switch off and just turn it on once in a while to check engine gauges. Don't leave the battery switch on and if it smokes, leave it off. If you have a chase vehicle, I would leave the power and lights off and drive it home. If you have to, disconnect the batteries after it's running.

Good luck.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have a chase vehicle, I would leave the power and lights off and drive it home.Good luck.
I wouldn't recommend that far with no tail or brake lights, especially driving through some of the worst highway patrol areas in the nation. It would be fine to get him to a safe spot but not all the way to MA.

But that's just me.

chux72vette

Tow and PB, thanx for all that as that all helps in case I or some buddies around Wash, Pa, can get to him. I have been waiting on a call back to find out more. Will update here in a bit as I am gonna call back. Not sure if his phone is dead or what also. 2 of my PGH-Offroad members have reached out also. Just standing by at this point. I agree with all to get him going but still a band aid. Not sure about the "PCB" thing so any help there is good too in case I go there or a friend does.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Screw in the fuel cut-off override and jump the starter solenoid at the starter to start the engine if necessary. Leave the battery switch off and just turn it on once in a while to check engine gauges. Don't leave the battery switch on and if it smokes, leave it off. If you have a chase vehicle, I would leave the power and lights off and drive it home. If you have to, disconnect the batteries after it's running.

Good luck.
Not sure that can be done because of the auto trans

chux72vette

Yarz, thanx as I posted in our PGH forum also. Ty responded and can get to him by lunch. I'm 45-50 minutes away but he hasn't gotten back with me or Josh yet to know exactly where he is. Thats a big area for exits as he posted so no telling which one. I have 2 fully charged batteries in case someone needs to take them as my time will draw closer to me leaving. Just wish he would reach back out with info so WE ALL know what the deal is!!!
I just checked, I have the same PM. I know nothing about those trucks, but if you guys need a hand helping, let me know.

Cinman37

I work in Washington I just texted him he said the truck was still there but said his phone was dying. I will run over to the address after I get off from work tonight to see if I can help in any way.