• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Members in Northern Virginia?

dc_cucv

Did you ever hear from anybody?
Kinda. I ended up hiring a young mechanic doing side work and paid him 100 bucks to swap my starter out - truck immediately turned over.

Now that I'm all recovered from covid, I need to get my injector pump replaced, so was thinking of looking for someplace. i heard that Tactical Truck has a shop out here not far from me...may give him a call since i have other things done that may be up his alley (i.e. welding, machining).

CGarbee

Just a reminder in case you aren't following the thread for this year's Graves Mountain Trailrides and Rally...

Our next trail preview/work weekend will be on July 23/24 (I hope to be on-site July 22...).
It coincides with Peach Day at Graves Mountain so we can do some riding and cutting and then enjoy the festivities during the midday break on Saturday...

Send me a PM or make a post if you can assist to that I can plan...

Thanks!

CGarbee

Graves Mountain Rally (Syria, Virginia), Labor Day Weekend 2022
September 1-5, 2022

It's too late to mail your registration to me....but you can still pay Chuck at the HQ tent upon arrival.
If you're on the fence about attending for the whole weekend, come up for a day or two... (just see Chuck when you arrive...).

Thread concerning the event is located at:

Website for the event:

Hope to see a bunch of you,
Cabell

dc_cucv

Today, on the holiest of holy days, after 7 months and a Vermont registration later, I now have a straight clean Virginia title in hand for my baby.
Only took another 3 hours from my life today at DMV, then the notary, then back to DMV but finally walked out with title in hand (plates coming in the mail).

So the Vermont loophole does work. Would I pay for that service again? No. Would i recommend to anyone else? No. Do it yourself - literally 2 forms to fill out, send payment and VT sends you plates in the mail. I paid $159 from Cartitles.com Wish i knew how easy it was before wasting that 159....could have used that $$$ on parts.

I caught the 'rona back in June and was out for a month or so, but i just finally got done with flushing the cooling system, new hoses, new heater core (since the elbow broke off the original when the hose came off).
Then I did the front and rear differential drain and fill with Lucas 80W90 followed by dropping the trans pan and replaced filter and added a cast aluminum pan with a drain plug (mine did not have one) and a fresh ~6 qts of Dex III.
Hoping to get the transfer case drained and filled tonight/tomorrow, then time to drive!!!

dc_cucv

Well, i suppose after a super great day, I was due for a bad one.

I'm noticing that my turn signals are no longer working.

I went ahead and replaced the flasher, and tried the turn signal, it flashed once, then died again.

My headlights work fine, but turn signals and hazard lights dont come on.

I was going to replace the hazard light flasher next, but does anyone else have any ideas?

I'll be checking and cleaning terminals, but all the lights worked fine before i installed my alternators. I got the truck without either alt, but was able to still crank it over and get it running. I noticed that after the alternators were hooked up, i started having this turn signal issues.

dc_cucv

Question -
Is any member here the guy who lives in Woodbridge on Forest Ln?

My buddy lives behind him on Woodside Dr and I was over there the other day and we were letting the dogs play out back and saw his M1009 sitting in the back yard.
Had current plates and my buddy tells me he see's him working on it from time to time.

I figure I'd ask here first, then one day i may pop over there in my 1009 and cold knock on the door and introduce myself.

Well, i suppose after a super great day, I was due for a bad one.

I'm noticing that my turn signals are no longer working.

I went ahead and replaced the flasher, and tried the turn signal, it flashed once, then died again.

My headlights work fine, but turn signals and hazard lights dont come on.

I was going to replace the hazard light flasher next, but does anyone else have any ideas?

I'll be checking and cleaning terminals, but all the lights worked fine before i installed my alternators. I got the truck without either alt, but was able to still crank it over and get it running. I noticed that after the alternators were hooked up, i started having this turn signal issues.
So the lights were working without the alternators in, then you put alternators in and they crapped out?

Maybe disconnect the alts and see if the lights work. If they do, I suspect a grounding issue. If not, fuses.

I'm not the world's expert at all, just thinking.

I'm up in Fairfax if you ever want to get together.

Another Ahab

So the lights were working without the alternators in, then you put alternators in and they crapped out?

Maybe disconnect the alts and see if the lights work. If they do, I suspect a grounding issue. If not, fuses.
Got real admiration for people that can solve electrical problems; people like you, Mysterioustruck.

It's not really that complicated, and moistly kinf of a "chain-of-custody" exercise to eliminate every little area along the circuit that might cause a shutdown.

My problem is the patience to deal with that. I like problems that just need a hammer, and if the first hammer isn't the right one just reaching for the next biggest one (on up the line)! Electrica

Another Ahab

Got real admiration for people that can solve electrical problems; people like you, Mysterioustruck.

It's not really that complicated, and moistly kinf of a "chain-of-custody" exercise to eliminate every little area along the circuit that might cause a shutdown.

My problem is the patience to deal with that. I like problems that just need a hammer, and if the first hammer isn't the right one just reaching for the next biggest one (on up the line)! Electrical problems don't respond to this approach.

dc_cucv

I'm not the world's expert at all, just thinking.

I'm up in Fairfax if you ever want to get together.
I got all the lights and horn working finally and have been driving her around all weekend. I was working at the gun show out in Chantilly this weekend and used her to transport all my firearms (will hopefully have a 416 in 2 weeks, so that will be even better) to the show all weekend.
Realized Friday morning that i should have checked my tire pressure, but was running late so didnt get a chance to. When i stopped Sat morning to check, they were at 30-33ish all the way around. Got them up to 45 and damn what a difference that made in handling.

The light issue ended up being a broken ground connector in the drivers side running light bulb socket (little ground arm popped off). So i soldered in a new socket, replaced all bulbs correctly (194's, 1157A's) and all signals work. I also ended up putting in a pair of the Sylvania Silverstar lights and those made a huge difference. May end up going LED at some point, but for now the Silverstars will work. Maybe LED's as a tax time upgrade.

Right now I'm working on my new seats. Been cleaning and painting seat brackets and got some 86 Camaro reclining seats going in this week some time. Got my dash out and doing some cleaning work since my coverlay dash cover will be here this week as well (hoping for a worm day to install).
May go around and get the rubber mat for the front for this winter, then will spray the interior.
Other than that now I'm just trying to get some miles on her and see what else needs attention.

New wiper motor going in this week as well and need to order all new seals for the doors and cap since i've got several leaks.

How many other owners in NoVA? Might be cool to all meet up some place. I know there used to be a group of old hot rod car guys that used to meet up in the lowes parking lot at night on some days here in woodbridge. Or there's that cars and coffee thing that goes on.

Any NoVA users interested in getting together? If anyone is into off roading, I would definitely be interested in getting a little convoy together to get into some of these mountains here in VA/WV.

dc_cucv

One thing I would like to do myself with some help would be to replace my injector pump. Mine has a leak so takes me a few tries and get the huge clouds of white smoke as she cranks, but after 3-4 tries, she'll turn over.

From what I've read up on and watched video's on, it doesn't look like rocket science to do, just need the correct tools and go step by step. I'm a hands on learner type, so I'd like someone experienced in the procedure in case i get somewhere where google or youtube cant help me.

That is actually my priority to get the pump replaced, but also for the money they cost, I want to make sure i get the correct one.
I heard the pumps can be tuned somewhat for better fuel economy vs more power. Not sure how much more "power" that would equate to at the wheels, but I'd probably go for better fuel economy that gaining half a hp at the wheels.

One thing I would like to do myself with some help would be to replace my injector pump. Mine has a leak so takes me a few tries and get the huge clouds of white smoke as she cranks, but after 3-4 tries, she'll turn over.
You sure it's the IP? White exhaust smoke indicates unburned fuel. I had the exact same symptoms and new glow plugs knocked them out. I have a swollen glow plug puller should you ever want to use it. I needed it badly.

I suspect my own IP because I have a rough idle. Something to do with the fuel system at least, according to GM's book on the 6.2L.

dc_cucv

I'm sure my glow plugs should be replaced too (on my list) but i can see fuel leaking from the IP seals near where the high idle solenoid sits.
The fuels leaks down the bottom and drips off the bell housing., which from what i read here is text book IJ pump seals.

Check the area near the high idle solenoid for any "sweat" or moisture. If there is any present, you almost certainly have bad seals on that pump like me.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks