• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Memphis Equip Auction roadtrip? Hi-rollers?

drdstny

Banned
October is fast approaching. We all know the Memphis Equipment auction is coming up, let's not play dumb or hold our cards too close to our chest. I have 3 questions:

1) Has anyone organized a road trip or car pool or rally to the event? I am planning on taking a personal day so I can go out there and would like it to be more social and less cutthroat than some of the previous live auctions I've attended.

2) Are any of our 3 major shipping-hotshots planning on being there? If so, this means I can drive out in an econobox.

3) Any high-rollers planning on going out there and spending Really Big Coin(tm) on stuff? If so, I would like to talk to you, as I only need onesies-twosies and will not be able to compete in the larger lot sales. If anyone with a $10,000+ budget is planning on going out there, I am a buyer for single pieces from any potential larger lots. I am NOT looking for any trucks.

That being said, there's no question we'd all love to take "whatever we can get, as cheaply as possible." While that's true for me as well, I'm actually looking for a few select pieces for my own projects. What is everybody dreaming about? At the risk of this sounding like a want-ad, I would like to score the following parts:

--complete cutoff bogie setup with 5th-wheel saddle from 5T or larger tractor
** OR **
--a complete trailer dolly, whether it's a M98A1 or something else

--HT740 or HT750 Allison transmission (just 1 complete unit, or 2 questionable ones)
--drop-side bed, >14' (sephiroth has a bed that'll work, so this isn't a "must")
--M60 pintle *WITH* all the braces (just missed out on those on GL 2 wks ago)
--PLS/LHS/HEMTT steering coupler, plus Axle #2 servo
--HEMTT grille and front skid plate, need 2 of these
--PLS planetary axle parts, enough for 1 complete axle
--new Michelin 1600x20 tires, would like more than 4
--Grove HEMTT crane (won't lose sleep if I don't get one; must be cheap)
--Garwood winch, the big central one a-la PLS
--set of 6 identical gurneys/cots/litters. They need to be like-new and identical.
--2 complete sets of blackout lights
--complete set of three 10T driveshafts
--square fuel tanks, 1 or 2 or 1 big round HEMTT-style 155-gal fuel tank
--5T or larger brake shoes drums
--Meritor style brake shoes & drums
--trying to help westfolk find a PTO-to-pump driveshaft and shifter bellcrank
--ONE complete #5 Meritor axle from a PLS

Then there are the "if the price is right" kind of deals:

--articulated lowboy trailer, 3-axle
--that 4-axle HD/tank trailer looks interesting
--actually, I'm interested in a deal on any 20' or larger semi trailer, box or flat
--functioning lathe, mill, bandsaw, LARGE drill or gundrill
--60Hz diesel generator
--forklift >4k# capacity
--always interested in long lengths of big chain
--always interested in an 8V92 engine if it's COMPLETE top to bottom

The auction is at a dangerous time, because I have 3 paydays between now and then. What I would really like to do is count on the support of my SS friends so I feel like "I have it covered" and don't need to go in there bidding on everything and its wife. Worse yet is that we won't really have an accurate list of everything in the auction until 30SEP.

The concern I have is that the pictures show eleventy bajillion bogies, but will they sell each separately or will it be a complete lot as "residue?" They show thirtillion gajonkin engines, but will they sell each all by its lonesome? You get the idea.

So...if there isn't already a central location to discuss all this and work out the details beforehand, let's use this thread.

Welcome to my financial irresponsibility nightmare.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I haven't seen the list, but here's my take: First there's no collaberation on auctions. I don't think you meant that but just a heads up. Second, I was at the CMS auction in Augusta and I am guessing this will be very similar. The big guys will probably be there but remember they will be bidding on large lots to make money back. I will be surprised if they break up lots into small lots (oneseys/twoseys). There are probably alot of good deals to be had, I know we left alot of stuff back just due to the sheer amount of the lots we won. I am also guessing they won't allow you to go to buyers and buy one or two items on the premesis after they won them. Good luck and take pics.:wink:

jmh4x4

Im hoping to score the day off work and be there, not sure what my budget holds or what Im looking for, more of a sight seeing visit and if I stumble upon something, then who knows:-D

jollygreen

call me a dumb@$% but this is the first time i have had my ear to the ground about this.
what date is the auction, and is there a list of the stuff and where and when can i get it??????:drool:

longshot2171

Got my flyer in the mail today. I guess they got my name from either a past invoice or Military Vehicles mag. Not sure if I'll be able to swig the trip. Since they're only closing this one location, do you think they relocated the "cream of the crop", and left only what wasn't worth the effort to ship? :?:

dirtyfingernails

Is it logical to assume that since they are keeping the store in Memphis open that they really won't be offering great deals? I mean, they seemed to have whipped everyone into a frenzy about closing a store and leaving PA. However, they still need an inventory for the other (main) store, right? So, whatever they don't sell, they move. My guess is that bargains will not be had. Then again, I'm as cynical as they come.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
October is fast approaching. We all know the Memphis Equipment auction is coming up, let's not play dumb...[snip]
they going out of biz? or just unloading?
[snip]... this is the first time i have had my ear to the ground about this. [snip]
Wow, about 20% of responders saying they didn't know, so I guess we DIDN'T "all know". As previously stated, be careful of collusion in your "discussions"... I'm not telling anyone here anything. Bring your wallets.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is it logical to assume that since they are keeping the store in Memphis open that they really won't be offering great deals? I mean, they seemed to have whipped everyone into a frenzy about closing a store and leaving PA. However, they still need an inventory for the other (main) store, right? So, whatever they don't sell, they move. My guess is that bargains will not be had. Then again, I'm as cynical as they come.
That's what I'm thinking. They are the people that buy stuff at auctions like this. I will say the only thing left is stuff they don't think is worth shipping to Memphis. Unless they are in some financial strain and need some cash.

needhotrod

i live not far from the shop and took a ride up there they had 5 or 6 deuces that looked like they might run and drive but the rest look like they have been sitting for a long time they have a lot of 5th wheel trailors a 5 ton dump truck a crane truck and some type of military plow truck (new to the mv world so not sure) im not sure what they have inside but that is what i saw outside for the most part

spicergear

I should search for the three other threads to post on them how much I won't miss the PA Branch of M.E. Virtually always a hassle, new parts -bad-, rock hard seals, one time even not given a price because I was told, "You just can't DO that!" Well, I did and it worked...so they can have fun at their next job and I hope it's not dealing with customers.

The guys in Memphis are a good group though-

FYI (all) I've gotten food poisoning at the Burger King in Chambersburg twice-

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got the brochure in the mail today. Lots of neat stuff. Too bad I can't get off work that day. If you buy anything, post pics.

BMS07

Im thinking about makeing the trip out there. Is there someone willing to store a truck if I buy one untill I can line up shipping back to WI. ? Thanks Brad