• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-00# Exhaust Hose

catman393

Good Evening All,

I have a MEP-002A mounted on a 3x5 garden trailer that I normally keep inside my garage. I would love to be able to run it in the garage due to the noise level and not wanting to unreasonably disturb my neighbors.

While doing research online I found out that the M85 has 2 exhaust hoses for the MEP-003 generator. Digging through the tech manuals for the M85 ,and then cross referencing those parts online, I found that the exhaust hoses consist of the following (links to NSN Pages at the bottom) :

Union NW-P-521, Type 1, 1-1/4 IN NPT P/N: 6-1-8804-10 (Available at Home Depot for ~$14)

NIPPLE, PIPE NSN: 4730-00-144-4991; P/N: MS51953-148; 1.25" thread size; 2.5" length overall (Available at Home Depot for $3)

HOSE ASSEMBLY,METALLIC NSN: 4720-01-461-4681; P/N: 6-2-2419 ID: 1.5"; OD: 1.94" 180" (15 ft) long. (Made of unobtainium?)

Can anyone help me find the exhaust hose? From what I can find it has a 1-1/4" threading on one end to screw on to the nipple that is attached to the union. Does anyone have a picture of one? Does anyone have one in decent condition they'd want to give up?
Obviously I'd love to have "the right part" but if I can't get one then maybe I could make one. Does anyone know what kind of hose it was made of? Where I could get the "adapter" that allows the 1.5" ID hose to screw on to the 1-1/4" nipple?

Thank you all in advance for your time and assistance!

Nipple - https://www.wbparts.com/rfq/4730-00-144-4991.html
Hose - https://www.wbparts.com/rfq/4720-01-461-4681.html

Last edited:

stugpanzer

Couldn't you use an exhaust hose available from the big auction site or google search for them? Seems like it would be easy to plumb the exhaust opening and slip an exhaust hose on....

Zed254

If garage is attached to your home you may wind up with CO seeping into your house. I ran some flexible steel duct from a generator exhaust to a window in a shed one time. The duct got really hot and the shed was filled with exhaust fumes when the generator was running.
The military gen sets I've seen have pipe threads on the exhaust. You could run hard pipe to get most of the gas out of the garage with a better sealed exhaust system. I suspect you'll want some insulation on the exhaust pipe. 15 feet looks to be max length from your description, but the TM may have a more definite maximum exhaust pipe length.
Again, I would not do it if you have an attached garage based on my experience with a poorly fitted and uninsulated exhaust duct system in that shed.....

I suggest steel because you do not want your exhaust system to melt, possibly catch fire, release the exhaust gasses into your living space. And the pipe will get hot where it exits the garage.

Last edited:

justacitizen

please don't kill yourself with your generator. if noise is the problem what i did was i took three 4x8 pieces of OSB board and two 2x4 studs i backset the 2x4 and screw them to two edges of one sheet of osb.that gives me an edge of 1.5 inches on each side. i also purchased 4 5 foot steel fence posts. i drive the fence posts into the ground in a rectangle so the one piece of osb with the 2x4 attached sits on top of the posts. then i take one peice of osb and screw it to the top forming one side and repeat for the other. i then took a cordless drill and drill four holes each two at top and two at bottom of each post through the osb and secure with wire or zip tie. i do that for each post. when i am done i paint it and disassemble it and store it flat with the posts near. i now have a weather enclosure that takes about 5 min to reassemble around the 003A. it deadens the sound considerably.

Dieselmeister

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used "High-Temperature Rigid Metal Duct Hose for Fumes" from McMaster-Carr on my MEP-016D. This comes in galvanized or stainless steel. https://www.mcmaster.com/#duct/=1buqv7f. As the previous commenter stated, "Please don't kill yourself with your generator". As a minimum, get a carbon monoxide detector or two. There is also the fire risk. This duct will reach the full exhaust temperature which can be over 700F at full or overload conditions. I only use the duct for maintenance or testing, otherwise the generator is outside.

catman393

What would you guys think if I were to build an enclosure around my 002 on the trailer? It would attach to the trailer and be semi-permanent.

I just finished about an hour at 92%. While it was running it checked for air flow. It seems that air intake is only on the front at the air intake (go figure). So I was thinking that if I were to put a 4’ tall piece of plywood around front and sides. I would cut a hole for the front air intake and the exhaust. The exhaust could also just be angled directly up.

Just throwing it out there as a possibility. That way I can run it outside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

justacitizen

when you say"did that reduce the volume"if you mean the sound,then yes it helped quite a bit. but remember the 002A is noisy anyway,if you really concerned with noise then you should keep your eye out for an 802A. the 802A is unbelievably quiet compared to an 002A. i just angled the street L attached to my exhaust to point toward the rear and down a little.

catman393

when you say"did that reduce the volume"if you mean the sound,then yes it helped quite a bit. but remember the 002A is noisy anyway,if you really concerned with noise then you should keep your eye out for an 802A. the 802A is unbelievably quiet compared to an 002A. i just angled the street L attached to my exhaust to point toward the rear and down a little.
Awesome! I think I might give that a shot! If you have a moment would you mind posting a picture of your setup?

I was thinking of putting the exhaust out of the top with a “tractor cap” to keep water out. From what I’ve read the ASK for the 002/003 directs the exhaust upward to reduce “noise”. I’ll have to dig into the pubs to verify that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

justacitizen

Awesome! I think I might give that a shot! If you have a moment would you mind posting a picture of your setup?

I was thinking of putting the exhaust out of the top with a “tractor cap” to keep water out. From what I’ve read the ASK for the 002/003 directs the exhaust upward to reduce “noise”. I’ll have to dig into the pubs to verify that.

my set up is disassembled and stored flat as i only use it for long deployments more to protect the generator from Ice and weather in a prolonged outage. the pic is of an 002A with ask installed. notice the rectangular hole in the top left corner? that is where the exhaust and hot air escape.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks